Blue Cobalts "Sniffing" each other?

Snoozie

Okay,

So i got two new Cobalts from the Auction the other day...anyway, while I was doing the dishes tonight I noticed they were circling each other and sniffing at each others tails...What's the go with this?

Maybe I'm a few tics short of a tictac dntknw.gif but is this some sort of mating ritual??? I'm not even sure if I have a boy and girl, 2 girls or 2 boys...! How do I tell...?

The only real diff that i can see is that one is alot bigger than the other, the bigger one being a light blue almost pinky colour with the smaller one being a darker blue almost purple colour.

Any ideas?

P.S sorry for all the silly newbie questions

Cheers

Suzie

They are probably just doing displays of dominance.

Usually males do this so work out who the top dog is.

Also males and females do this when they are mating the female nudges the anal fin to stimulate milt from the male to fertilize the eggs she is holding in her mouth.

But at a small size they probably arent mating. Its probably just the males "strutting".

Sniffing LOL.gif Sorry Suzi I have never heard that one before

You will probably find that they are checking each other out and establishing the pecking order wink2.gif then again maybe you do have males and females and they are starting to shape each other up for a bit of hug.gifwub.giflaugh.gif

Cobalts are very hard to sex for newbies so for now just sit back and enjoy the fish and Hey if one gets a mouthfull then you can be sure you have at least one of each thumbup.gif

Well, i'm not sure what they're doing but I can assure you they are not babies...They are about 12cm fullsize i think?

Well i'll just wait and see. What exactly does a mouthful look like? (I know, another silly question.... bigsmile.gif )

Cheers

What exactly does a mouthful look like? (I know, another silly question....  bigsmile.gif )

Hey Suzie,

Put a glass of water in your mouth but don't swallow.

Now look in the mirror.

That's what your fish will look like when they are holding a mouthful LOL.gif

What exactly does a mouthful look like? (I know, another silly question....  bigsmile.gif )

Hey Suzie,

Put a glass of water in your mouth but don't swallow.

Now look in the mirror.

That's what your fish will look like when they are holding a mouthful LOL.gif

hysterical.gif I look pretty stupid...How do they eat with all that in there? Seems to me they'd open their mouth for a split second and it would all fall out! haha

Most mouthbrooders don't eat while holding shock.gif Good way to lose some weight!

In fact, they do lose a lot of weight.

They're pretty clever when it comes to juggling a mouthful of eggs. You can see them 'tumbling' the eggs around. Kind of like a chewing motion.

Most mouthbrooders don't eat while holding  shock.gif Good way to lose some weight!

In fact, they do lose a lot of weight.

They're pretty clever when it comes to juggling a mouthful of eggs. You can see them 'tumbling' the eggs around. Kind of like a chewing motion.

laugh.gif Don't swallow mamma......bye bye babies

Archived