Bristlenose setup

sandy001

Hi all

I currently have a standard 2ft tank with 1m & 4f bristlenose these guys have been breeding consistently over the last couple of months & I now have over 100 fry in with the parents. I have just setup a 4ft tank for bristlenose as well.

My question is should I leave the parents in the 2ftr & rear the fry in the 4ftr, or put the parents & fry in the the 4ftr & let the fry grow up with the parents moving some fry to the 2ftr as they get bigger.

I think the second method would be alot less mucking around & would allow me to have another male in there as well.

Thank's for your thoughts

Dave

i'd always preferentially put the breeders in a bigger tank, esp if you want to get another male.

but if its working for you in the two footer, i might just move fry to the 4 ftr as they get too big for the 2.

i'd always preferentially put the breeders in a bigger tank, esp if you want to get another male.

but if its working for you in the two footer, i might just move fry to the 4 ftr as they get too big for the 2.

Hi orcy

If I put the breeders in the 4ft tank do you think it would be okay to rear the fry with them.

Thank's Dave

If I was in your situation, I would leave the breeders in the 2 footer and use the 4 footer as the growout for the fry.

The adults are obviously happy in the 2 footer and you may upset them for a while by moving them. The fry will grow out quicker with the extra fin room of the 4 footer.

im not sure if leaving the fry in with the parents is a good idea but putting the fry in the bigger tank sounds much better than moving the parents when they are happy breeding in the 2footer.

mark

I'd move the fry to the big tank as they will get more food, more space and have more water. This will allow them to grow bigger faster (make the water changes frequent and regular as well, this helps them grow).

Also, if your breeders are happy, Mats rule 1 of breeding fish applys - If it aint broke, don't fix it bigsmile.gif . Leave them where they are and they should keep spawning as regular as clockwork.

-Mat-

I have a similar situation and mine breed all the time. Once the fry get to around 2cm I move them on into other tanks otherwise they will not grow very fast all. so as everyone appears to heading I would move the fry once in the 1-2cm range into a fully cycled tank.

Also you may find that the other male may not get a chance to breed with the girls but it is not all bad as it fires up the dominant one to make sure he keeps them all happy wink2.gif . I have a sub-dominant male with the same colony and he no action. In fact the dominant female pushed him out of the other cave so she can have it exclusively (a lot like life I suppose LOL.gif ).

cheers

rosco

Archived