Julidochromis transcriptus 'gombe'

chrisso81

Hey guys, about a year ago I bought a small group of J. transcriptus 'gombe' and I now have a breeding pair. However, in that year I have seen so many different looking juli's labeled as transcriptus 'gombe' that I'm starting to wonder if I actually have the right fish. (dont worry, no fry have left the house) Are there lots of different localities of transcriptus? If possible, could somebody post a pic of the true 'gombe'?

Here's a pic of my female:

user posted image

I really love these fish but I dont want to start selling something that isn't the real deal sad.gif . Cheers, Chris.

Hi,

I have attached 2 pictures of mine ones.

user posted image

user posted image

What I noticed that they have a blotchy checkerboard pattern and as they are getting older that pattern is a bit washed out at the abdominal area.

I also attached a picture of my J. marlieri "Magara", Burundy. The fish is still young on the photo, but as they grow their pattern gets darker. Also, they have a more perfect checkerboard pattern with thiner lines compared to the transcriptus.

user posted image

J. marlieri females that are larger than males and can grow up to 14cm, while the transcriptus can only grow up to around 8-10cm max. Nevertheless, scientists keep reclassifying them under the same generic name, J. marlieri.

Hope that helped

Roland

Maybe this will help.

hth,

Jason

thumb.gif Thanks Jason, this link is a classic example of the frustration I'm facing, the amount of differences shown in just those few photos is huge, the first ones appear to have very distinct vertical barring, but then other shots show fish with a mix of vertical and horizontal lines confused.gif To add further confusion there's a transcriptus 'gombe' and a marlieri 'gombe' and they dont seem very different at all dntknw.gif (where is the pulling hair out smiley?)

My understanding of what they are saying is that the transcriptus gombe is actually a marlieri. not a transcriptus. Thats they way I read it anyhow. I have only ever seen them labelled as transcriptus though.

My "transcriptus" 'gombe'...... have distinct vertical bars running all the way around their underside. Bare belly transcriptus are not real gombe in my opinion. but now, the 'real gombe' are supposedly marlieri.....

Anyone else confused..... LOL.gif

Here I am just tryin to do the right thing by the hobby, and now look where its got me! The reason I asked this is because I spotted some trans gombe at an aquarium and they looked ten times nicer than mine! It got me thinking why are they so different?

I thought i had a j.marlieri. Now i'm not so sure,

those pics of trans look very similar to mine.

Aren't marlieri supposed to grow much larger than transcriptus?

Glenn

Well, here is some more differences for you.... laugh.gif one of my pairs of 'gombe'. Call them transcriptus if you wish, the shops and the importer I bought them from did. But they are infact marleri 'gombe' according to cichlid forum....

Here is a crappy pic of one of my pairs.

user posted image

and some others from the same tank.....

user posted image

love that glass..... tongue.gif I might go read the photoshop thread now.... cool.gif

hths,

Jason

here is one of the pictures I have looks very similar. This could be my male I am not sure> I had 2 bigger ones and one smaller one as a trio. I lost a bigger one when they decided to breed so I assume the bigger one is a girl.

user posted image

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, lets clear our heads for a moment LOL.gif

According to Konings, there's one simple rule which differentiates between J. marlieri and J. transcriptus.

J. marlieri has an additional horizontal bar on the cheek (below the eye), J. transcriptus does not.

Chris, going by this rule, you have marlieri.

Roland's pics 1 & 2 are true transcriptus, pic 3 is marlieri.

Eddie's pics are marlieri.

Rosco's pic is unclear laugh.gif

Eddie's link to the cichlid-forum profile page appears to have both marlieri and transcriptus pics under this profile dry.gif

Keeping this rule in mind, there should be no more confusion.

Locality however is another story sad.gif

thanks Fins. I will get an better photo but I am 90% sure that mine has the extra mark on the cheek below the eye so I guess I have marleri as well.

cheers

rosco

Archived