Canister Filter

Cichlabxr

Hi Martin

It really comes down to a couple of things money and how long you are thinking of keeping your setup

If you dont have a great deal of money right now buy cheap but pay more for power as you go

If you have some spare cash buy Eheim best on the market but will cost you more now but are cheaper to run

thats my two cents worth

Cheers

Craig

This will open up the debate again...

Basically the cheap ones work okay. Nothing too fancy and all have their own little problems.

The eheim's are good but are more expensive.

Therre has been many posts in the past as to what everyone think about them, have a look.

My recommendation is the Eheim 2217.

(I'm sure someone is going to recommend to drill the tank and add a sump, how many posts will it take?)

nah i wouldnt drill a 250 litre tank, not worth taking the room up in the tank. Like wui39 said ehiem 2217 or if you dont want to spend too much, try a aqua one cf 1200, you can get them for $109 each, so you can get 2 for the price of an 2217, they do a very good job, and would be more than enough in your tank.

(I'm sure someone is going to recommend to drill the tank and add a sump, how many posts will it take?)

I'm one of the usual "drill it" advocates but I agree with steve24cro, not worth drilling something under ~400l (unless you're doing racks)

Have you considered an AC300 & a cheapie cannister rather than two cheapie cannisters? I like the mechanical ability of Aquaclears, almost more than I like recommending sumps! (there you go wui39, a HOB post in a cannister thread tongue.gif )

Nar in all seriousness, Craig nailed it & anything else we post is pretty irrelavent*.

(*other than specific model recomendations for that tank size)

Eheim. They are a beaut to clean. I cleaned mine (Only full with filter wool) last night after 6 months. The wool was sludgy with crap and water flow was still good.

Its an eheim pro II 2028. Bigger than what you need, but eheim is good for ease of cleaning. I am not looking forward to cleaning my pro aqua.

A canister and an internal powerfilter and you are set to go.

Also depends on what you are keeping in there and how often you would need to clean the filter. If you are going to be cleaning it constantly, trust me, you want something solid and wont feel like it will break on you!

My opinion 2217 are the best value canister on the market. They are ehiem quality, now come with efhisubstrat pro, 25W, 6L filter volume, 1000L/h and i got mine for $245, i hear trans aquarium sold some for 220 at one point. I reckon they were so good that i opted for 2 rather then one 2028 for my 5ft.

Archived