Quick question

novafishy

Guest parallel

Hi,

My thought....

Modern days milk crate is made with reprocess HDPE or PP, (cheap stuff) and with the way it is designed (structural ribs). I say it is fairly rigid and as long as you can spread the weight evenly across, it shouldn't be any problem.

Oh..make sure the crate is free from damage such as cracks and chips, then you might have problem.

Cheers

Hilton

Guest parallel

why would they use a more expensive material?

Yep you are right Colfish, they should not use anything but cheap material for the application, or else they will go belly up with so many missing milk crate every year. I read somewhere they lose about 50K plus each year for all those missing crates. Even with the cheap material I reckon they cost about $2 each to manufacturer. Ummm very interesting I'll might quote one tomorrow and see what is the actual cost to mould.

Funny thing is at work I was looking into reprocess PP today for a customer and they are bloody cheap compared to the virgin PP. But can have their disadvantage but lets not get into details, I think I am getting a bit side track now.

Hey Wes have you received my PM?

Basically I filled the 3x14x2H tank and withing minutes of filling it up, i noticed one of the crates (*ahem* tnx for crates, Carlos! bigsmile.gif ) started to wobble and warp.

I immediately knew it wouldn't be able to support 200+kg. Quickly transferred all the water to a 4fter waiting for a water change.

I reckon if I had left it overnight, I would've seen 200L on the floor this morning.

hmm...now to get a stand...

I've used besser on outside tanks and containers. It work okay although the height is relatively low. I got the idea after seeing a book where the guy in Hawai had a 8ft tank supported by concrete blocks. This was in his lounge room though so he must have been pretty brave.

Ive used milk crates on tanks much smaller that the 3x14x2. I've used 2 milk crates on a std 2ft tank no probs. I think when you start to stack the crates, you start to get problems. Maybe an idea would be to have one layer of crates, then some MDF board to even out the weight, then another layer of crates. that *might* work...

ill get a photo up for you on the weekend im too stuffed right now and ill be worse tomorrow.but no thier not bending and i havent really checked to see if their the same but they are different colours whether or not this represents anyhting

Thanks for that Jason! Looks like the 4 milkcrates supports that standard 5fter just fine.

Does your other milkcrate structure that is stacked 2 levels high warp? meaning do the bottom crates's wall structure bend?

maybe i just got dodgy milkcrates. haha!

Arent you worried that the tank sides that dont look supported by milkcrates might break? They are only sitting on the MDF.

I have heard it happening before where the side of the tank hangs and doesnt sit supported on a solid base.

Arent you worried that the tank sides that dont look supported by milkcrates might break? They are only sitting on the MDF.

at first i must say yes i was but i only had it that way in the beginning because i didnt have enough crates but its been this way for 3 years now and ive never had a problem.the board that i have underneath it comes to within a cm of the foam so it looks worse than it is.

Thanks for that Jason! Looks like the 4 milkcrates supports that standard 5fter just fine.

Does your other milkcrate structure that is stacked 2 levels high warp? meaning do the bottom crates's wall structure bend?

i dont have a picture of the double stacked one i had as i shrunk it down to a single story when i moved it.i honestly cant remember if they did bend.here it is in its current form i prefer this system ten crate five each row with board on top.

user posted image

Archived