help? breathing very heavily

fishie4me

hey guys, i need some help.

i got a four footer ith some mixed fish in there and i just saw them breathing very heavily, havent had a chance to check the water chemical yet as i just realised this about 5 minutes ago.

the fish in the tank are

frontosa,

black calvus,

fucifer sumbu,

fireblue,

eureka red,

lionhead,

e yellows

red empress

it is over crowded as there aint many of one type.

they are ALL breathing very heavily (fast).

any help would be appreciated.

thx in advance and cheers...

First off cheack if your filters are working properly. Are all your airlines free from blockage/kinks? My guess is, if it happened as suddenly as you say, something switched off.

A good short term plan would be a water change. Splash the water in good! too so you create some movement in there and aerate it some.

hey ducksta,

yeh mate i found the problem, tx for the advise lol... biggrin.gif really appreciate it mate, some one has been messing around with my heater as i just checked it was on ful max and usually, it is only on 26 degrees. so i guess that is the problem, and now that i have re-ajust the heater and done a water change, the fish is getting better well to my eye anyways ehehheeh i'll keep you guys inform if anything else happens but lets just keep my fingers crossed and hope it was just the temperature abit high.

thx again and i'll keep you guys with up to date news... laugh.gif

High temp's reduce the oxygen content in the water so its a good theory to me.

I dont know how cool your house gets, but in the current temps you could have your heater at 22, and it will only switch into action on really cold nights. My heaters are all off, have been for a couple of months now. cool.gif

Glad they imrpoved quickly!

ohhh i c..

nah my house is kept at a straight 23 degrees at all times. so i reakon 25-26 is good, as it has een in those conditions for the last 4-5 months since i set up that tank.

but yeh as i said thx for the help.

you will find that as the temp goes over 29 degrees the fishes metabolism speeds up, therefore their demand for oxygen increases. ohmy.gif Tangys are more pron to dropping off & it is a problem up here in summer, some people up here have had serious problems mad.gif

so the oxygen contant must be near saturation.(a tip for those up this way;oh & good circulation) cool.gif

Frenchy

Archived