Pirahnas

mr troph

raisehand.gif Hi all

A mate of mine was wondering if he could keep some species of pirahnas are the legal here in Australia? does any body now were you can get them and any other information would be apreciated.

Thanks Todd.

Todd, can you please type properly, there is a spell check feature just for you to use. Can't make sense what you are trying to say mate... bigsmile.gif

wimple?

dos'nt?

sualosis?

I'm pretty sure piranhas are both illegal to import and keep. There aren't many around Aus to start with anyway.

I have some Mel. chipokea that were awsome fish to watch eat, having 50+of them in a 4 foot tank is like a nice school of pirahnas, they would dart up really quick to the surface, then straight back down, killing machines they were.

If you want the agression, why dont you get a RD or oscar or one of the other mean american cichlid.

As "cool" as pirahnas are, there are others with better personality that can please you just as much.

Each to their own I guess.

Im pretty sure its a noxious species, obviously illegal to import but also illegal to keep.

But they defineately are here and they have been bred....3years ago i got offered tank bred ones for $400 at the size of a 50 cent coin.

My opinion is the same, not worth it...go for family members like silver dollars and red hooks.

Yeh definitely Tim. I don't see why they are so great, but that's my opinion.

Over in the States, they are very popular there.

Obviously never kept a school of P's?

They are great fish. A large school of reds will not behave skittishly. These are schooling fish people, schooling fish will act shy when kept singlely or in small groups. A nice group of 10-15 and you will see some real pirahna behaviour.

If you just want a single P go the mighty black rhom. Although you will be hard pressed to find one at the moment.

Alex

Obviously I haven't kept them Alex. Pretty much the same goes with 99% of everyone else on this forum.  huh.gif

The point I was making is you can't see what is great about a fish until you actually keep them for yourself.

I didn't see what was so great about Tropheus spp, until I got myself a colony, now I love them.

See my point? Don't pass judgement on a fish until you keep it, and yes indeed you are entitled to an opinion.

zipit.gif Yes, they are noxious. As are TSN in many states, still plenty of people keep and discuss them. I think it's just the PIRAHNA title tht scares most people off.

I am by no means promoting the keeping of illegal fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Nigel is right, expect fines if caught!

But then again, you may say its a silver dollar but the jaw is a dead givaway!

Also, people think they are little things who pack kill, but tell that to the fishermen who can lose a calf to a single bite from a 30cm bugger!

Archived