how do you sex firemouth?

fecat

as per topic, how do you sex firemouth? I have a firemouth about 6-7 months old. He or she grow extreamly sloooooowwww..... When i bought him from st geroge, he was about 4-5 cm. After 6-7 months, he is still under 10 cm confused.gifconfused.gif

He is in a 5x2x2 with good filteration. So i dont see there is a problem with the room. and he can protect himself from his tankmate too. Why he grow so slow??? and how to sex them?

Thanks

From memory they are one of the slower growing CA cichlids, no idea how to sex them sorry, think it might have been intensity of red under mouth - but then you'd need a group to tell if it's a girl or a washed out boy

Hi

Its also been about 10 years since I have kept them, but I do remember that the males were larger, a bit more colourful, and developed a long extension at the back of the dorsal fin. If this is not starting to develop you may have a female.

Glenn

I think I might have gotten mine from the same batch. St.George Aquariums in the tanks in the first room? Anyway mine aren't growing particularly fast either though my friends who is definitely from the same family have, but its lost all of colouring as far as shinny scales go. If yours is under 10cm mine are still only around 5-6cm. If you really want them to grow faster just feed them more and change the water more. That supposedly does it.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_meeki.php the third paragraph explains sexing.

But they don't look as if they are brother and sister so for all you know one could just be malnourished.. such as my friends who I told you about

It just sad to see all his tankmates outgrow him sad.gif When I put my oscar and venustus in, they are both smaller than him. Now? They are maybe 6-7 times bigger LOL.gifLOL.gif

although he is small, but he has real personality! I love him! wink2.gifwub.gif

Archived