fry tanks

Peter_Gun_Riff

My experience with Peacocks is that 3ft tanks are huge, in relative terms, as a Grow-out tank.

I have not spawned any Protomelas but other mouth-brooders of similar or larger size that I have spawned are fine in tanks that are not that big(3ft) so I think you should be OK.

What size are you planning on growing them too??

Also...

ive notcied that my fry take so long to grow
...do you put that all down to the size of the Grow-out tank??

What else have you tried to improve growth and what size tank have you been doing it(growing fry) in??

i had 5 peacock fry in a 7 gallon tank and i had an auto feeder on them while i was at school(school holiday atm) and they got to about 2cm and stoped growing.

ill be getting the 3ft soon i hope as i have a few empress fry on the way.

im hoping to get them to about 3-4cm mark to sell.

biggrin.gif

Hi Peter_Gun_Riff,

my grow out tanks are only 2 footers and my fish grow pretty fast. I have 16 2 cm Ps. saulosi and 11 1.5cm E.blues in there. I also noticed that if you keep the temp up (around 28 deg) they seem to do better. I only do weekly water changers. I also feed 3-4 times a day with a combo of HBH fry bites and HBH flake

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

They are both about 4-5 weeks from the time their egg sacks where completely gone. so say there about 6-7 weeks old. I know I had troubles at first with the same size tanks, but I put it down to, a combo of, poor feeding habits ie. not enough times a day, and the temp being to low, around 24 degs

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

well ya learn somthing new every day, i didn't know that temperature effects the growth of fry...guess thats what these forums are for.

Anthony cool.gif

Archived