Preferences

stotto

Just wondering peoples thoughts on stands. I have a 4x2x2 stand and hood coming soon and its in its natural state. So i'm wondering what are peoples preferences on having stands either left as plain wood with a lacquer finish or stained & lacquer finished. i'm only tossing up the idea as i'm not to sure how my skills would go putting a stain on the stand and hood with out making it look dodgy.

Comments and ideas will be appreciated.

P.S.. Is the best way to stain wood by using a cotton rag or a paintbrush ??.

Cheers Ben

Is the best way to stain wood by using a cotton rag or a paintbrush ??

I usually add the stain to the timber with a brush, then use a rag to wipe the excess off. That seems to give me a nice even finish smile.gif

How much did it cost to do yours Timmy ??. It looks like a 3 or a 4ft and you only have the stand and mine is a 4x2x2 so im thinking bit more than douple yours.

Ben

Mine is a 4 x 2 x 2. It cost me metal + stain, built it our selves, metal frame with the wood screwed on there. If you dont have a spray gun id say BaZ's was would probably be the best bet

Ben

I did mine the same way as Baz - painted the stain on with a brush, and wiped it off. Don't put the stain on too heavy, and wipe it off a minute after brushing. Do small sections at a time. If it comes out too light, you can always apply another coat of stain.

I assume we're talking pine. If so, check out the sample pieces at Bunnings, and buy the colour you like. Do an inside panel or back first - if you don't like the look, at least you haven't ruined the front (pine can be tricky to stain).

Leave the stain to dry, then apply one coat of varnish, sand it back lightly (with fine steel wool), then apply another coat, and steel wool it back. The finish will be nice and even and smooth. The varnish also protects the wood from water damage.

HTH Frank smile.gif

You will also want to get the darkness of the stain to look similar to that of other furniture in the house. And the stain will fade a little bit after 1 or 2 days (only a little bit)

Also make sure the stain you get is designed for use with pine.

Other stains tend to soak in too quick and produce a horrible dark effect.

Archived