david vs goliath?

patchy

"I think Singapore gear is the same V (or close enough...) but will need a plug adapter?"

Yes, all it needs is a plug adapter, about 0.95 cents in Singapore. Eheims work out to be about 30-50% than Aust. I bought an Eheim 2260 when I was last over there.

absolutely eheim ,in 20 years time itll still be going strong still with parts backup, ive got a plastic garbage bin full of "other brand" filters with broken taps rotten hoses etc that ive got to throw out someday,even the eheim hose is a work of art and has been running in my pond for 10 years!

there's already a 1000Lph powerhead which pumps water to a gravity sump which will act as my mechanical filter and chemical if needed, there's not enough space for bio-balls. So i need a filter with good biological capacity (large media volume) rather then mechanical filtration. I guess i'm leaning towards the eheim but the price tag is really off putting...

i was just surfing around on the net and i came across the Eheim 2250 (the 12L bucket 1000lph) for around $630 with media which really satisfy's the biological need, i could up the power head to give better circulation... is this thought too crazy?

Ive always used Eheim canisters and would never use anything else. I've never had a problem with them (aside from when it was my own fault) and can't fault them in any way other than the cost. Mind you, there are some very cheap places out there that are doing great prices on Eheim.

For the Eheim vs Aquapro, eheim wins hands down everytime. Quality is more important to me than price and peace of mind knowing that not one Eheim i have owned has failed ( i have/had 2213/2217/2229 ).

But for good filtration, low power consumption, choice of media ect drill a hole in the side/back of your tank, fit a bulkhead and make a sump. Sumps IMO are the best for large overstocked tanks..

Cheers,

Aaron

well in my opinion my eheim was a huge let down (2080)pro 11 as my cheaper filters (jebo/ottos) cleaned much better then my eheim:<,that being said i did fill my cheaper filters with matrix and aqua clay. sure eheim are by far the best quality made filter, but just dont clean my catty tanks to my sattisfaction , now i run 2 x 2400 aqua 1 cannisters.

eheims are just better made filters, more sturdy etc. They do same job as a cheap filter. I wish there was a cheap eheim dealer, no such thing really. Most places the prices are quite steap, id love to know how much margin they make on a filter.

Dont quote me on this, my guess (hence i emphasise guess) is that say a eheim filter is retailing $700 approx, wholesale price would be somewhere near $200-300. Again correct me if i am wrong. I know a local fish shop owner who told me he has to price everything 3x wat he buys it at.

eheims are just better made filters, more sturdy etc. They do same job as a cheap filter. I wish there was a cheap eheim dealer, no such thing really. Most places the prices are quite steap, id love to know how much margin they make on a filter.

Dont quote me on this, my guess (hence i emphasise guess) is that say a eheim filter is retailing $700 approx, wholesale price would be somewhere near $200-300. Again correct me if i am wrong. I know a local fish shop owner who told me he has to price everything 3x wat he buys it at.

Actually most shops only make 50% + GST on any brand cannister if we are lucky.

Since the importers have changed with the Eheims the prices are slowly comming down, although i imagine a few places would leave them at the old prices.

The biggest problem with Eheim is the specials that the suppliers offer on Eheim are in bulk lots, which puts the lower prices even out of the small shops range.

The biggest problem with Eheim is the specials that the suppliers offer on Eheim are in bulk lots, which puts the lower prices even out of the small shops range.

That really does ring true as the cheapest Eheims i can find are on the net, especially aquaticlifeaquariums.com (am i allowed to say this?). However my uncle said that aqua force out past dandenong (forgot exactly where) usually does the same models for only 10-20 bucks more....are any LFS having a sale?

Patchy,

Aqua Force are in Boronia, corner of Boronia and Dorset roads (opposite aussie disposals on Boronia Rd), if that's any help. Dropped in there over the Chrissy break - good range of hardware, not much in the way of fish. If you're over that way make sure you drop into Boronia aquarium - It's on Dorset Rd opposite the police station. Good range of fish and plants.

It's a shame Aqua Force dont have online shopping sad.gif

Cheers

Steve

Archived