Compatibility issues

davez104

Hi all,

I have an 8x2x2 that I would like to introduce a couple of new fish into, just not sure how they will go. Here is what is allready in the tank:

4 Adult Opthalmotilapia ventralis

4 Adult olivaceous brichardi

4 young Lepidiolamprologus attenuatus

12 multifasciatus ( I know these wont hurt anyone :D )

3 cuckoos

2 Synodontis petricola

1 almost full grown gold compressiceps

There are heaps of hidey holes, a couple of rock piles as well as a couple large open sandy areas.

I have 3 Xenotilapia spilopterus, probably 5-6cm that I know would appreciate the space, not sure if they could handle the company and don't want to put them at risk.

Thanks.

Dave.

Something tells me the gold A. compressiceps isnt going to have a very good time in the tank. Although he's big enough to fend off most of the fish he will probably be hiding in the rocks most of the time meaning youy wont get very much out of him by keeping him in there.

cheers; Richard

Richard, Have you been peeking in my window again?? shock.gifLOL.gif

Thats about how it is, he hides a fair bit, does not like aggression at all. If he gets picked on, he won't stand up for himsilf, just goes back into the rockpile. If he starts to get hammered too much i will take him out. It's not really him I am worried about though, I'm pretty happy with the tank as it is. It's how the spilopterus will handle themselves that concerns me. Not the easiest of fish to find, and not real cheap either. Don't want them anywhere they are not going to do well.

Thanks.

Dave.

I agree, some leptosoma could be a good addition, although i'm not familiar with the Olivaceus brichardi or Lepidiolamprologus attenuatus. Leptos are not an agro bunch.

Anthony

I guess I'll never be 100% sure. I think they'll be fine when they get a bit bigger. I don't think there is anything in there that would give them to much trouble, just bits of territorial disputing here and there that might stress them out. The male ventralis can be very energetic at times, never hurts anyone but looks like he means business. The olivaceous brichardi can get pretty aggresive at times, but mainly between themselves. And the attenuatus don't really seem to bother anyone, although I reckon the multis could be invited to dinner in another month or two, I will have another tank for the little guys to go in by then. Guess I'll try to grow the spilos up a bit more before I put em in.

Thanks.

Dave.

hey Dave

if the male ventralis is 8>cm and he has girls, he will mean business and he will hurt! these guys demand their territory! they can be rough boof heads at times.

maybe get a mate for the gold comp, these guys usually ignore aggression with contempt, a mate may make him a little more bolder

be good to give the spilo's their own tank to grow up in, some lepto's for company

will keep them out and about

cheers; Colin

Thanks Colin,

Yes the ventralis is bigger than 8cm, has spawned 4 times with his 3 lady friends wink2.gif I know he hasn't hurt anyone yet, but then he doesn't have too, he's got every other fish bluffed and they keep out of his road when he's a bit agro. The spilos will stay in the 2 footer for the time being, when things cool down a bit they can go out into the garage into a 4 footer. They have 4 small clavus with them at the moment and seem to be getting along fine.

Thanks.

Dave.

Richard, Have you been peeking in my window again?? shock.gif  LOL.gif

Thats about how it is, he hides a fair bit, does not like aggression at all. If he gets picked on, he won't stand up for himsilf, just goes back into the rockpile. If he starts to get hammered too much i will take him out. It's not really him I am worried about though, I'm pretty happy with the tank as it is. It's how the spilopterus will handle themselves that concerns me. Not the easiest of fish to find, and not real cheap either. Don't want them anywhere they are not going to do well.

Thanks.

Dave.

LOL come on mate get him a female !!!!

OK, have had bit of a swap around and remodel of the tank. The olivaceous brichardi have been removed and the 3 spilopterous and 4 young calvus have been put in the tank. I also added another large rock pile, so there is now one at each end of the tank and an open sandy area in the middle. Everyone seems to be getting along well so far. A bonus of the redecoration and massive water change was that within the hour the Lepidiolamprologus attenuatus had spawned in a large snail shell hug.gif They don't seem to be taking much care of the eggs though, not sure if this is normal or if i should take them out and try to get water flowing over them. Happy to see them spawning though.

Thanks.

Dave.

hey Dave thats good to hear about the attenuatus, mine lay the eggs get a bit picky over them , but really as you have seen leave em alone, they are pretty resistant to fungus, and are as you can see white, but still fertile, hatch in about 4 days, fry are super small, baby brine shrimp are too big, i give them some very finely crushed flake, I also found mine will lay on the outside of the shell, then a day later move the eggs insdie the shell or some were else, definetly a bit different to other egg layers...lol good luck with em

I now remove the eggs and bubble in methylene blue, their first 6 broods dissapeared, i now atleast have a few fry 3 weeks old and still 6-7mm.

OH by the way the tank sounds good, hopefully i can get out and see it soon,

Archived