Keeping Tropheus - No way too hard?

MoliroMan

Hey guys,

Please post the reasons why u won't like to keep tropheus!

We will hope to dispell any myths and maybe convince u otherwise to give them a chance. They are quite a misunderstood fish!

Let us hear about your tropheus keeping disasters!

I remember when i first started with tropheus i bought one of those cute looking speckled fish (maswa). I was told they were hard and to keep them in large groups. But the rebel that i am, i thought i would give it a go despite all warnings. I kept one lone duboisi in a 30 inch tank with a bunch of malawi and fed it daily with tetrabits which it devoured with gusto. One day, i found it dead! shock.gif

Another incident was when i bout 31 F1 Golden Kazumbas which died like flies over a period of 1 month despite all efforts of treating them. Only left with 4. Why did these survive?

Dave

I started off with the Maswa's as well. Great looking fish and very personable when older. The first lot of about 12 went well until I went to move them into a larger tank. The change in water must have been too much and I lost most of them. Since then if I have to move them I collect the water I change from their original tank for a couple of weeks and also move a filter that has been conditioned in their home tank. This has worked well - no more losses.

Hey guys,

Please post the reasons why u won't like to keep tropheus!

We will hope to dispell any myths and maybe convince u otherwise to give them a chance. They are quite a misunderstood fish!

Let us hear about your tropheus keeping disasters!

I remember when i first started with tropheus i bought one of those cute looking speckled fish (maswa). I was told they were hard and to keep them in large groups. But the rebel that i am, i thought i would give it a go despite all warnings. I kept one lone duboisi in a 30 inch tank with a bunch of malawi and fed it daily with tetrabits which it devoured with gusto. One day, i found it dead!  shock.gif 

Another incident was when i bout 31 F1 Golden Kazumbas which died like flies over a period of 1 month despite all efforts of treating them. Only left with 4. Why did these survive?

Dave

Only one didn't last too long up to 3 and looking for a couple of 6X2 on a rack to make room for more. I actually don't find them harder to look after than others - big tanks are more stable I guess. Plenty of filtration, water changes and good food.

The only draw back to getting your first group of Tropheus sp. is the fact that it almost definately will lead to a second and a third and a forth....... blush.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Drawbacks....mmmmmmm........let me see - forums and posts such as these that keep us away from the fish themselves dntknw.gifwoot.gifLOL.gif

These are no different from any others IMO they thrive on keeper knowledge, alot of time and luck yes.gif

Cheers

I think some people are a bit turned off by the fact that you actaully have to know what you are doing to keep these guys successfullly, ie:

maitain water quality, and keep all maintenance regular, and consistant. they do require a tad more dedication, most others are pretty forgiving....then again i keep even pickier fish than tropheus, so they are not an issue.

The initial cost 10-20 fish minimum that hurts when they are $10 each for small dubosisi to $100s each for wildcaughts

Filter, and tank setups tend to be a bit more expensive

All the horrer stories that people post here..if it ever happens to me again, i wont post here about it, but there will be a BIG fish, and tank sale.....

BUT These are awsome fish with huge personalities, and are quite spectacular to sit and stare at. There colours are as good as any other fresh water fish, they are a good size fish for a display tank. they dont usually hide, but rather greet you very eagerly at every oppertunity... I wouls miss mine so much if they were gone.

they have never interested me at all im not sure why but all tangs are boring IMO but then again i like colour i.e malawi but then again i love attitude i.e my americans jags,RD and umbees so im not sure some people will say they are both colour and attitude but i just see a really boring fish lol sorry people

going to get hammered here now lol

You don't have to like 'em smile.gif . Lot's of people around here bag Frontosa, yes, they are very casual bigsmile.gif , but they are such majestic fish IMO. I would like to think that I will keep them again in the future, especially with the import rules relaxing on them.

If I could I would love to have 2 colonies of Tropheus, 1 colony of Kitumba Frontosa and a Discus/Tetra Planted Tank smile.gif . Each in a separate 6x2x2. It's nice to dream, maybe one day yes.gif .

Jamie.

PS It's the variety of this forum that makes it so great. I don't know any other Cichlid Forums where you can have a chat about Marine setups, Planted setups and check out some really cool Reptile stuff as well as have a natter about our beloved Cichlids. This place rocks man thumbup.gif !!

I dont think you will be hammered...

As nigel as kinda said...different strokes for different folks.

I found my tastes have changed over time, i started with just various tropicals, natives, then a few cichlids, then oscars, and other americans, then malawis, and i am now settled on Tangs..and very happy..

We don't hammer individuals do we guys LOL.gifLOL.gif usually the other way round.

I still love my mbuna - mainly for their colour and diversity but breeding them is no longer a challenge which is why I turned to tangs originally smile.gif I love some of the shellies and definately some of the spectacular featherfins - I have found them a challenge to breed and they have maintained my interest because of that.

Tropheus however will now always remain my best love - their attitude, their colours, their challenges, their little down turned mouths that make them look grumpy suit me fine. That they are also very forgiving, even though labelled difficult wink.gif is a bonus. That they are a species I understand and thrive under my care ain't half bad either.

As I am not one to swap and change at the drop of a hat and my fish are pets like any other - they tend to stay with me for the term of their lives, I give advice on T's if asked. I am definately not keen to have them in every home as every home is not equipped to handle them.

Enjoy the fish you have - not one is better than another tongue.gif

Cheers

Aline

I've kept malawis and find tangs much more interesting not for there colour but just the different range of fish. I also keep marines but would like to get rid of them at the right price to accomadate more tangs, mainly tropheus. For me it not about whats more colourful its about dntknw.gif dont no I just love em yes.gif

Archived