How to get your Tropheus to Breed?

MoliroMan

Hi Guys,

Anyone out there have any tried and true ways of getting their Tropheus (or any other species fish) to breed?

I have tried:

1. Increasing the kH 16-18.

2. Reducing Gh to 10-12.

3. Large water changes - up to 75%.

4. NLS pellets.

5. Reducing the water temperature.

Dave

Watching storm fronts and timing a water change to coincide smile.gif .

Conditioning females for T's a must IMHO and definately more mouthfuls with the kH in the high teens thumb.gif

Dave, will need much more time now to answer your posts - what are you doing to me uuuuggghhhhh.

Cheers

Aline

Hey Nigel, what about your post where you said you aimed to have kH of 18, gH of 10, and temp of 25. Have you changed your point of view or just havin' a dig?

I was just wondering since all my Tropheus are fine, I have had more females holding lately than ever but no fry have been spat for a few months. I have 11 juveniles who were the first fry I have had from this colony. They were spat a few months ago but since then, nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? The only kit I don't have is a gH kit. Should I get one or is testing gH not as important as say kH?

Jamie.

Jamie....at least u have had mouthfuls! I think investing in a Gh tester is a good idea. My Gh was about 20!!!! And if what Nigel says is correct then the sperm can't penetrate the egg!!!

Maybe someone is adding something to the water to inhibit tropheus procreation.

Oh no, i am suffering from Tropheus paranoia - Aline i need some counselling!!! shock.gif

The big secret to breeding Tropheus is good water quality plenty of water changes and a KH of 16-18 degrees and GH of about 180 parts per million and temperature about 26.

When I used to breed them I did about 70% water changes a week plenty of oxygen and did not over feed.

Archived