Another Bristlenose question

codyg

I wouldnt. Just give them hiding places.They do come out in room light. Well mine do :-)

They are out and about with my dim tank light too.. So give htem hiding places. Some cats are not shy, and some are. dntknw.gif

lots of catfish from the same family as bristlenose prefer the dark. BN have become pretty well adapted to cihclid specific tanks and don't mind lots more light than peppermints for example.

I wouldnt worry too much about them being affected by light. If they are acting slightly nocturnal , perhaps only feed them before the lights go off. The towel over the tank is a bit too much IMO (they need daylight as well as darkness).

HTH.

Mike.

rightio, was just a thought considering they were starting to go pale.

right now i have a bar runner that is over the top of the tank, but doesn't cover the front back or sides too much, so there is still light going in.

from here they seem more active already smile.gif

but i will make sure i remove it for a few hours a day! thumbup.gif

Hey if they are a funny colour it might be worth checking your basic water parameters. pH, NH4, N02 and N03.

It might be possible that something isnt quite right.. Could be a spike of some sort or your nitrates might be too high. pH might be absurdly low???

All these things could cause discolouration in the fish, so might be worth running a few test or taking some water to the LFS for some tests.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

hmm i normally clean the excess food out, but the tank does have a weird smell to it,

do you think i should test for ammonia? cause my gf's lil bro has a tendancy to put algae discs in the water when no one is looking.

G'day

If you believe it smells then I would thinking it is better to be safe than sorry with this one.

I would do a 40% water change and go and either puchase a test kit or take it to your LFS for a checkup.

cya Matthew

did a 50% waterchange, and smell is basically gone, fish are starting to enter the caves, but now the problem is i got 1 bn to each cave (2 "matt" caves and 1 terracotta pot with an opening) and its like no one wants to go visit the other lol

Archived