Heaters

pipsqeek

Is it just me or has anyone else had issues with heaters not working a month or so after the warranty period. I have bought Jagar heaters for years and had no issues, until it did come time to replacing it.

So I bought one, a few years back. and it lasted about 13 months. I got it from a reputable shop in Sydney which I have also worked at many years ago.

I could not get it replaced or even looked at, only a few weeks out of warranty and not heating at all, nothing, no light, no indication.

I bought another one....I just don't learn.... it just happened again, fortunately this time, it has been hot so the water was fine, but when the water cooled down, I noticed that the fish were all hanging around the heater...the first time I would ever see all my Cichlids huddled around the heater, without fighting.

The replacement heater went alittle over a year later. Just out of warranty, again!

I have now bought a different brand, cheaper too. If it still stuffs up after 12 months, atlest I have already saved a few quid over the Jagar's.

I haven't tried the Ebo Jagers but got a Visitherm a few years back and have stuck to them ever since... the older style ones with the longer adjutment knob (still plenty around town at lower prices because they're trying to get the new schmicker looker ones with the angled top cap and conical knob into the shops).

I've always tended towards 2 smaller ones rather than one that's a 'correct' sizing. I'm guessing they don't have to work as hard during the winter and I like some safety margin if I do get unlucky and one goes high - it would give me a few more hours to effect a repair / replacement before I ended up with steamed fish. biggrin.gif

Did you find that when they failed they went high or just dropped dead?

Cheers - OziOscar.

In both cases they just dropped dead.

The first one just went completely. The second one (the latest one) stopped heating but the indicator light was always on.

I'm a qualified electronics technician and can usually fix these things, but the only way I was able to open the jagar's was to break them open to see what when wrong.

The first one just had a bad joint in the circuit which open circuited (is that a real word?javascript:emoticon(':blink:') ) and caused the whole thing to not work.

The current one is even harder to open....unless I break it. Does anyone know of any methods of opening a heater (specifically Jagar heaters) without much trouble?

It's just such a disapointment to have to buy a new heater so often.

Steve

Blue tops tend to have problems once condensation appears inside the heater. I went through 5 of them 2 years ago and now only use the cheaper $20 via aqua heaters which are pretty reliable for the money you pay.

There has been countless threads on your topic, most of us here have been there done that... lost fish due to them etc..

Blue tops are right on the money, as you called them.

And I did notice condensation around the tops just above the indicator light.

The one I have bought to replace it is the Via-Aqua 300W(not Aqua-One, or whatever they call them selves now.)

Since I have saved a fair amount of money on this Via Aqua heater, I am interested in seeing how this performs in the long run. Judging by the responses, hopefully it bodes well.

Thanks to all responses.

Steve

Heaters are usually sealed with a Hot Glue or silicone.

If it is hot glued then you can use paint stipper heat gun to gently heat it up and see it the head comes off. If it is siliconed... then I think you are out of luck.

There is a thread here about Digital Termostat from Jaycar. If you have a heater that is Dead and Always on, then you can use this thermostat to drive you heater still.

The heater Indicator light is always on, but not the heater itself.

Then the Thermo thing from Jaycar. Is that the kit that indicates temps on an LCD display on the front but also has high and low alarm as well as relay control over a circuit (such as a heater)?

Is this the one you are talking about? because I was planning on building that anyway.

Thanks for the info though, good call, but still doesn't solve the crappy heater thing...I will never buy Jagar again. Lets see what the Via Aqua does in 12 months.

Steve

I had one of those heaters too, apparanty the whole series had design defects were the condensation would cause a wire inside to corrade, resulting in the heater malfunctioning.

bought another one, my saratoga smashed that within 3 months (making me very upset and i was surprised he was electricuted).

Jager => sold to sera, now their heaters are being sold under the sera brand. I bought two 250w ones (for my 3ft tank)...suppost to be not faulty. We will see.

- Ernie

Jager => sold to sera, now their heaters are being sold under the sera brand. I bought two 250w ones (for my 3ft tank)...suppost to be not faulty. We will see.

- Ernie

Ernie,

Jager has been sold to Eheim not Sera. Sera heaters are basically the same as blue therm/ visi therm heaters. Made in italy.

It is my understanding, a product that is sold faulty, as all the Jager heaters are, will be exchanged or refunded, wether or not it is outside the warranty period. Knowingly selling a faulty product, I think also has an impact on being liable for damages, if any that the faulty product causes (good luch getting them though).

Contact the wholesaler, and I think you will find you will be satisfied. If not, I know of another person who mentioned the Offices of Fair Trading (or what ever they are called) during the conversation, and went away a satisfied customer (with replacement heaters).

I expect you will find many old posts on these pages on the topic of faulty Jager heaters.

Craig

PS Don't take any Jager heaters as replacments sad.gif

The place I bought them from (were I also worked many years ago) did not want to replace it, and I was desperate to buy another heater.

I was stupid enough to buy another of the same brand, thinking that maybe it was a one off.

I will not mention the name of the place but will say that it is located near Kogarah, and is very reputable, even though expensive.

Who can I talk to about the heater since I hear that Jagar has sold to Ehiem or something? Should I call up Ehiem?

By "Wholesaler" you mean them, correct? or the retailer. SomethingSomething Aquariums?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Here are the details of the sole eheim/jager importer,

Phone-: (02) 9758 2222

Fax-: (02) 9758 2099

Email-: enquiriesupport@aqacenta.com.au

Address-: 53 Garema Circuit, Kingsgrove NSW 2208.

If it is under warranty they are obliged to help you.

Ben smile.gif

Unfortunately it is not under warranty, and neither was the previous one to that.

They both have died (seriously) after the warranty peroid just finished.

The shop would not replace it, would not hear me out, would not even talk to me...this is even worse when you consider the fact that I use to work there.

I have been hearing good things about the Via Aqua (300W) so, I hope that it lasts atleast twice the warranty period. That alone will be a feat for me.

Thanking you very much for the Ehiem details. I will converse with them and let you know of the developments.

Regards,

Steve

Archived