L.ocellatus(Gold)

Mazimbwe

Hey Maz

That's just as nice as these 3 bubs I have in my front tank ... oh hang on those ones come from you ... LOL.

Looks to have a nice shape, what is the size of the little dude?

I need a good close up camera to take some pics of my bubs for a comparo ... I'll have a go with the one I have but it won't be as good as yours ...

I think these I have from you have a bit more gold on the cheeks. Also yours seem a bit different in how they express their gold which is interesting. Mine seem to have a more metallic gold reflective colour while yours seem to be less metallic but more yellow. It's interesting.

L.ocellatus.(gold) male. not showing good colour. if there is fry in the pic cant see any

The pic shown is of a 11-15mm fry...Col, you must have some great eyes to sex em at that size biggrin.gif ...I think they are about 4-6mths old, sorry but time has been a bit interupted of late and it is hard to be more specific.

Merjo: Thanx Wys. I am really happy with the look of them...tho the flash does wash out quite a lot of the orange-ness of these little guys(according to Col wink.gif )

Fiona: I am glad you are happy with the little guys you got from me...I have about 5 more that are that size now and then the one pictured comes from the last batch of about 18-20.

The camera makes such a difference to be able to illustrate shape and lines as well as some colour but seeing them in the flesh is still unbeatable.

The ones I sent back for you are some of the best fry I have seen, anywhere, so it would be great to see some pic's with a description of the differences you are talking about. I must say that the fry look better than Mum & Dad would have you believe they might look. Dad is very Dark and blotchy and still only young as is Mum. While young she is much nicer in colour but changes to look very dull more and more as she gets older.

When I saw them I made room for them and went back and got em...never seen Occies like them in a shop B4.

Does he always stay dark and blotchy? Mine will often look that way but not always ... I think they did more when they were younger.

I have taken some pics of mine but my camera can't really handle that kind of closeup. However it will give you an idea. I have made a montage coz I took one and rather than post the enormous pic I took individual fish out of it and cut out all the intervening bits to make the file size smaller. These are all different fish out of the same pic.

user posted image

These fish are about 2cm now and have had more time to develop their colour than your little dude has. As you can see the reflective gold is a feature. I'm not sure how they get this reflective gold, whether it's pigment overlaid with something that's reflective or what! blink.gif Never mind.

I'll go and have a go at photographing the ones I got from you.

Clearly a bit of difference between the 2 examples we see in this thread Fiona. As you will know from looking at the Fry I sent to you, they are very Golden/Orange in the body rather than Silver. Even the reflective "Flashes" on their sides and the Gold in their cheeks seems to be brighter/different.

It will be good to see what you think of the mature fish, eventually, and hear what you have to say about any fry that mixing the blood may produce.

Please keep me informed. wink.gif

Hey mate by the way i think ur gold occy fry looks great. Fairly good bloodline perhaps? Maybe wild caught parents or 2nd generation wild caught? What are you feeding them, Brine Shrimp? I like gold occys they have alot of attitude! mad.gif

lol sorry for the thread disruption blush.gif

Cheers

lol...disruption is my middle name Dan.

I have been unable to get any more info about the original source of my Occies as the were purchased at the LFS. All I could get was; the breeder who traded them has been a regular at that LFS for a long time...not much help with the info, eh??

As for food, I try to mix their diet as much as I can. Live and frozen brine-shrimp, daphnia, Mysis and Blood worms as well as Sera-flora(I know) and even live glass-shrimp(if I can get em small enough) is what I chuck in very sparingly for the parents. The fry are predominantly fed on ground flake-food and Daphnia...they seem to be thriving.

I made the same assumption that they must be good-lines or close to the lake, in that respect, coz the minute I saw them I went home and made room for a new species smile.gif ...then went back and got em. rolleyes.gif

Thanx Michael...some of the even better ones are in Fiona's tank so the Blood from the little Occie in the pic is now in her hands. My female has changed ends in the tank now to be close to the male and he looks very Golden/Orange(quite a dark colour but not blotchy at all and his sides are very Orange. will try to get a good pic of the pair tonight.

Archived