Nikon D70 lens selection

Ducksta

Hey guys,

I am too lazy to join a photography site so I'll ask you lot LOL.gif

I am thinking of expanding my lens collection a little (Actually I have decided it will happen thumb.gif ) I'm bored of the 2 stocky's I have.

Looking for anyone's experience's with some of the more affordable mid range lens'.

Specifically the AF-S DX 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED catches my attention at the moment but I will probably end up settling for a cheaper alternative, and I am also possibly looking for a dedicated macro lens.

Also any advice Re: general use lens' or alternatives to the lens I am considering.

Does anybody have any experience with the nikon-compatible gear (ie. TAMRON)

As an aside I see alot of gear sold on eBay that I wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole, but if anyone knows of a genuine Australian seller that wont ship my lens from Hong Kong and such, can you tell me who (privately might be best???)

ps. Feel free to let me know if you happen to see any unbelieveable deals on flashes, interesting filters, tripods etc as I need to put orders in for Christmas and these should be a more suitable price range for the relo's. wink2.gif

If you have a nikon camera Id suggest only sticking with nikon lenses.

OK, is this personal preference, hear-say, regurgitated from other forums, professional knowledge etc dntknw.gif I know from looking at/playing with some 'compatible' lenses in shops I definately prefer feel and operation of the Nikon equivalents (for example they focus alot smoother) but I couldn't discern much/any difference in picture quality (obviously I am not comparing them to the high end official Nikon stuff) However, having a fiddle in a shop is a long way from real world stuff.

A general use lens with depend on what you generally shoot.

I guess use the lens I specified as a guide. Something with similar albeit not exactly the same specs would no doubt do a suitable job for me.

On another note I tried talking to a professional wildlife and nature photographer (a good mates uncle) about it but I don't think he has much recent experience with low-mid priced gear LOL.gif

If you have a nikon camera Id suggest only sticking with nikon lenses.

no offence but this is just stupid tongue.gif. whilst the quality control of some of the other brands ie. sigma may not be as good as canon/nikon you can always return a soft /poor copy for a better one if its under warranty. some of canon's my popular L lenses are the 70-200 series with the f4 being the favourite among hobbiest beacuse of the much cheaper price over the f2.8 and f2.8 IS models. but for the same price as the canon f4 u can get the sigma 70-200 f2.8, no this is a much faster lens with the same quality optics as tyhe canon's for the same price. why wouldnt u get it?

ducky: it might help if you state the lenses you already have. i take it your after a nice walkaround lens. are you on a budget or can u go all out thumbup.gif

-Dave

Well I have a canon camera and you wont catch me putting any glass on there except canon lenses. I highly doubt sigma would match the equivelant optics of a high end canon/nikon lens. If they did everyone would save their pennys and buy sigma instead of canon/nikon.

i also have a canon..... and a budget but i still want high quality glass so i have choosen to go the sigma 70-200 and sigma super 500 DG flash over the 420EX once agian this is because u get more for less;) sure sigma cant match it with some lenses for example the 300mm f4 IS which i have just purchased. awsome lens and sigma doesnt really have equivalent nor do they for many of the canon primes.

it just really annoyes me when people turn such a blind eye to other brands because of pure snobery sure some dont match the canon quality but if u research pick ya battles right then u can get canon quality for $$$ less.

Archived