My first BN fry

phear

i have been waiting for the day to see eggs in 1 of my tanks and today my breeding pair layed eggs as im typing :D i have only had them for a week now and they had layed 4 weeks ago and wasnt expecting them to lay for at least another 2-3 weeks as they have only just moved into there new home! i have never seen eggs and it was a plesant supprise i would guess she has layed around 30+ so far its hard to see in a long hollow piece of drift wood with her and him inside i got a glimse when he was out for litteraly 2 seconds! and she is still in there laying so im expecting 100ish.

Jamie

ps any advice for keeping the fry alive would be great.

bristlies love to lay eggs in a new tank, its quite common.

have fun watching your new bubs grow thumb.gif just dont disturb them too much as they may dislodge

-Mat-

My bristle fry get exactly the same food as the adults.

If you are leaving the fry in with the parents (and you should be) just add a little more food at an increasing rate to keep every one fat and happy.

i had to take out about 12 in a clump as the male is like 13+cm and he knocked them out of the drift wood where the clump is. they are floating in a fry saver with a air stone on the outside (side where the eggs are) and a air stone in the fry container about 1/2 way up to water... when will the eggs start hatching and how long till they become free swimming and eat normal foods.

thanks in advance

Jamie

I feed mine blanced lettuce to start. I find that wood is also a good idea to have in the tank. The transition from clear/yellow to brown is a good signal Mike, I never really put the colour change/ dietary requirement link together but it makes sense when you say it.

I once heard (dont know where or even if it an old wives tale) that it is good to keep the babies in with the parents for a while as the bubs pick up their gut bacteria from the parents allowing them to digest their high fibre diet better. I have always done this so I dont know if it makes a difference but I have rarely had nutrition based problems.

-Mat-

i have one batch of BN fry right beside me in a QT tank. They've been there for about 4 months now and the father is still in there. Sadly most of the fry have died off because i was unable to reach the tank for quite some time and the babies didnt get anything to eat.

From the beginning i feed them very mushy zuchiene, cucumber, peas or pumpkin. I did throw in BBS but i dont know if they ate it or not. Wardley algae wafers can be fed but i find they dont take to it as much as other foods, Wardley shrimp pellets did generate a buzz but strangely i always found a few dead fry 24 hours after, i dont know if they didnt get any or it's the food itself but it always happened.

Currently they are around 2 cm and i feed them exclusivly NLS Grow, kinda testing if it works as claimed, so far they take to it with enthusiasem, including the male (still in there) and are growing steadily however i have had two mysterious deaths recently, i doubt it's the food though as i've been feeding this for a while now.

oh yeah and i've had wood in there since the beginning , dont scrub any algae growing in the tank and if you need any rocks or ornaments to be polished of algae then you know where to put it (the fry are my UGF uptake tube cleaning crew) and finally dont forget they're a blast to watch! woot.gif

Archived