catfish for home tanks

Nhan

What size tank are you looking at? Sailfins are not small plecos. If smaller tank (3' and under), probably best with an Ancistrus (Bristlenose). Take a look through www.planetcatfish.com.

I agree.

If you have a big tank - 5 or 6 foot, then sailfins are very nice, or go for just a common pleco if they are too expensive (and they are :) ).

Both of them will grow to approx 60 cm in the wild (not quite so big in an aquarium).

If your tank is amller, go for bristlenose - they are great fish to keep in any tank.

hope that helps :^:

If its a relitavely small tank you could get some corydoras (lots of different species available here) or clown loaches (although very slow growing) and Ottocinculus catfish.

wazza

G'day Nhan

The only store I ever found reasonably cheap plecos and gibbiceps was at Bondi. Aquapets. :rolleyes:

The store has changed hands since then so I would phone them first and find out their prices. :)

I recall plecos at $15-$20 and Gibbies and $30-$35. But please check before travelling all the way in.

Would you mind posting up their prices if you happen to find out?

I agree plecos are grossly over priced in LFS i have seen a 18"-22" roughly at and LFS for up to $200! Ridiculus. But believe it or not they eat plecos for dinner in some countries :lol:

The store has changed hands since then so I would phone them first and find out their prices. :)

I recall plecos at $15-$20 and Gibbies and $30-$35. But please check before travelling all the way in.

I don't think Chris is overcharging (at least not the last time I was there).

G'day Poe

I know Chris from the club and I was not having a go at him.

I was just saying that the shop, Aquapets, has changed hands and I don't know his prices and to call first. (Hence; new owner maybe new prices).

Thats all I was saying. I never mentioned overcharging and I never implied it.

I hope this clears things up :)

I know Chris from the club and I was not having a go at him.

I was just saying that the shop, Aquapets, has changed hands and I don't know his prices and to call first. (Hence; new owner maybe new prices).

Sorry for the confusion, Chris is the new owner of Aquapets (that Horst sold to). Was in there today for some impulse Peppermints, and at $75 were more expensive that the $70 at St George, but nearly twice the size at Aquapets (suspected female 4cm, male 4.5 to 5cm, but it's found the inverted flowerpot and not coming out...). Horst is still there on Sundays, apparently until the end of the year.

Come on guys, get real !! would you sell a pleco that you paid $25 for and took two or three years to grow for $25 again ??? Supply and demand : Has any one noticed that G gibbiceps are cheap this year? or that G joselimaianus are three times the price they were last year!! Yeah , just like beans, cabbage, or tomatoes, supply and demand :):

oh wellz it's been to hard to find plecos so i'm going with bristle nose... hehehe

thanks for all ur help guys. but i'll be looking for plecos in a couple of months so if ya ready to sell u know u have a buyer lol

cheers

Nhan :D :rolleyes: :D

Archived