Next 10 species

@nthony

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see all petrochromis sp. on the allowable import list

Trewavasae can be imported but the other species are not allowed.....doesnt make any sense.

he he just beat me.

The zebra mbuna may be one of the lesser known cichlids, but that's no reason to call it an ornamental fish laugh.gif

Maylandia zebra complex is a fairly broad complex with dozens of species/locations. Will this enable all of these to become legal imports. If so then that is fantastic news for the hobby if it get past.

I will not even raise the Maylandia/ Pseudotropheus/ Metriaclima debate.

Hi all,

The species that have been selected have been done so with a view to the overall retail trade. If you guys are interested in more cichlid species why not lodge your own applications to amend the list on behalf of ACE inc or The NSWCS.

Check out

http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-u...import-fish.pdf

and

http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-u...nd/process.html

The process is fairly involved and time consuming but the fact PIAA just suceeded in getting Frontosa, Peckoltia pulcher, Pakistanis to name a few added to the list means there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyway just a thought that instead of complaining get in there and try to make a difference yourselves. I would be happy to help any interested party(s) though the application process. You will also have the full wieght and support of PIAA behind any applications you lodge.

Food for thought

Anthony

PIAA Director,

Ornamental Fish Representitive

Hey Anthony, on your previous note, Im sure that you have been thanked for your involvement in the last ammendment but I for one would like to do it again. Just to let you and PIAA know that it is appreciated. thumb.gif

Anyway just a thought that instead of complaining get in there and try to make a difference yourselves.

I dont know that complaining would be the word to use but the gist of the statement is a fair call blush.gif

-Mat-

Anthony,

Not complaining mate, you invited our thoughts and that's what I have provided. Not trying to knock what your organisation is trying to achieve - the more fish species allowable the happier we will all be :-)

I didn't mean complaining per say about PIAA or the species we put forward. I was talking more in general about people complaining about the rules and regs.....

"why can't we get species xxxx"

or "why is this species allowed and this one not?" any way I am sure you guys get the drift. Perhaps a poor choice of words. I don't want to take away from the intent of my post. Lets try to get some people interested in putting together a list of most wanted cichlids to prepare an application for under the ACE banner, as allready mentioned I will help out and give you the full suport of PIAA.

Anthony

Hey Anthony, is there anyway you could draft an application/request form (backed by your PIAA organisation) that all members of this forum could add their names, addresses and membership numbers to. dntknw.gif

If this could be done it would encourage more people and more numbers to the request, rather than rely on maybe only a couple of people who take the time and trouble to fill out the complex application individually. yes.gif

We could have one for ACE members and a second one for NSWCS members. dntknw.gif

Just throwing out this idea for opinions. yes.gif

Problem with that option Waz is that it leaves Anthony with all the work.

It's not a petition per se in the usual sense (correct me if im wrong Anthony), but rather a detailed submission of the fish species and projected impact in Australia.

Someone will still need to do the research required for the paper.

Spot on. Filling out the application form is actually the easy part. It starts to get really involved when preparing the impact statement in response to the terms of reference as published in my first link. The other problem with WAZ's sugestion is that each organisation/individual can only submit a maximum of 10 species at a time. Hence the need for ACE inc or NSWCS inc to put forward the next 10 species.

Auburn Aquarium are currently preparing to submit 10 species also.

This 10 species will be more controversial and take longer to asses.

It is to include Peckoltia sp , Hypancistrus sp. Distochodus sp. Scleropages formosus, Synodontis angelicus plus some other wierd and wonderfulls I am still finalising. PIAA delibratley chose species that already had Genus/Family representation on the list to facilitate a speedier assessment.

Come on guys surely if 10 people put their hand up each to do the work on 1 species. Many hands make light work. Not to mention the satisfaction if/when you are succesful.

Anthony

G'day

Catfish flag waving now yes.gif

I am a little disappointed that the Hypancistris zebra has not been included sad.gif

Especially when all of the work has been done the last two times to get this species on the list. All they need is for someone to listen to a true report about this species and then there is no reason why it couldn't be added to the list. (Please see the first application, this was a pretty accurate evaluation, and then it was ignored cryblow.gif )

PS. On the cichlid front, I would love to see electric yellows and saulosi added to the list. (OR does someone out there have some excellent ones or fry that they are prepared to part with)

Very Happy to see the M. zebra added to the proposed list and the loaches. bigsmile.gif

cya Matthew

A word of caution guys there is no point trying to add a species that is near impossible to buy from overseas suppliers. I would make sure they are readily available on the open market before trying to get them added.

I think this will be the problem with the L168 thats why the place was flooded with the L104s.

Auburn Aquarium are currently preparing to submit 10 species also.

Have you ever considered what you are doing could be construde as a conflict of interest? (PIAA & Auburn Aquariums)

From what I have seen in the past, and the trivial nature that some species have been thrown off previous application submissions, wouldnt it be prudent to get someone else, or another organisation to make further submissions.

Anthony, whilst your efforts arent frowned upon, there are some within DEH and the industry that may mistakenly see what you are doing with a degree of caution, being that you are trying to mix a business interest with that of an affiliated organisation, representing other businesses.

Maybe this might be the spark that someone else needs to take the batton and get some more applications in for review.

Markus

There is nothing stoping any business or organisation from submitting an application, that is why the application protocol exists!!!! There would be nothing stoping SLS doing the same thing if they saw fit. Anyone can make an application, It is not my affiliation with PIAA that allows me to do so. Please clarify what you see to be the conflict of intrest??

I think the only people pehaps upset about the work that I am undertaking are those who have smugled and have supported smugglers for years, all the while making ridiculous profits on species that can be obtained at relitivley low cost overseas. Isn't it a shame that you can no longer get $60ea for a pakistani loach that cost you 50c or $500 ea for a pulcher that cost you $30. I think you will find that NO PIAA member is upset with anything I am doing, if they are they have my mobile phone number from their contacts listing and are welcome to call me and discuss. This seems to be a thinley vieled attack for no good reason. Why don't you clarify your position and where your intrests lie.

Regards

Anthony

Archived