Urgent please help, what's the problem ?

aymenz

hey guys please i need some help here...

i moved from american cichlids to tang cichlids....

i set up a 3 footer for them...... and also i used crushed marble as a subtrate... and i increased the PH to 8.5 using some salt buffering......

the temperature is about 27-28 C.....

i'm running a via aqua canister 230 professional......

the water parametres are good so far......

caves are used..... as well....but today i came and i found that 4 calvus about 4 cm in size are gone (dead) sad.gif , these are the only ones i had......

but all i have left now is 6 , 6 bar frontosas which are breathing heavily.... nd i don't wanna loose them as well sad.gif.....

the calvus were breathing heavy yesterday but they were swimming as well ...... so i don't know what's the problem here... also to add, i put them food , but it stays there without being eaten by any !!!!!...

please guys help..... this is my first time with tangs and i done alot of readings about them.... and done what i read sad.gif....

and i really don't wanna risk it again..... i just want to know the problem i have in the tank.......

thx in adv.

c ya

hey omar

i don't need this now ok.......as i said lost 4 calvus sad.gif

u were there, why didn't ya say that on the spot smile.gif

hey mazimbwe... well the fish were with a friend of mine...

i bought them from him and i moved them to my house.....

so i cleaned the canister because it was running on an american tank.... and i filled the tank with water..........

the process is not implemeted yet... but all i done is listed in the 1st post mate....

that's all.....

i was looking for an air pump...but my stuffed up car stuffed up with me, even though i called nigel and he told me about his air pumps and i was going to get one of him and install it straight away but tough luck sad.gif

do i still need an air stone for the frontosas ??????

as they're breathing heavily as well.....

thx for the replies guys.

c ya

From what i can gather you need to remove the uneaten food if you havnt already done so ..

Sounds like ammonia spike to me and low oxygen level..

A VA 230 cannister is too small for a 3' tank on its own more filtration will be needed..

The higher the PH the smallest amount of ammonia can be toxic..

hi aymenz

I am sure you've checked basic water parameters already.

If you didn't, then please do so for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Kinda quick fix for me was to put water primer (like Prime) or water conditioner (for ammonia etc). However it is not the best solution.

Too many fish in a limited space would be a problem. So air pump would be an idea as well.

hope this will help. Sorry to hear you lost fish. sad.gif

Cheers

Mike

G'day,

How long has tank been cycling for? What were the Ph levels in your friends tank? Sounds to me they are suffering from Ph shock, if your friend's tank has a different Ph to yours, then I'd say its Ph shock. This has happened to me before (luckily no deaths thanks to DWD wub.gif ), have you got any other existing tank? What's the Ph from your tap water? If it's close to your friends one you can mix your age water along with the tap water then slowly add more of the age water every half an hour and let the fish slowly adapt to the new level.

Hmmm... 2:17am, insomnia sad.gif Anyways, why did you clean out the filter? Well it's okay if your tank has been around for a while (best if you cleaned it with your tank water) but you also did a water change, that just means more trouble. Get a few buckets of your friends water and mix it in with your tank, it should help I quess otherwise return the fish until your tank has settle. The fish you have a worth quite alot there.

Americans are cool~ tongue.gifbiggrin.gifhuh.gifblink.gifcool.gif

I don't think i'm making any sense LOL

hey nelson

unfortunatlely the 3 footer that used to house the calvus and the frontosas at my friend's house is the same one i have at my house now....

which means that to move it i need to empty all the water out of it and then move the fish in a bucket and then set the tank all over again.....

and yeah i think it's a PH shock....

because my friend only used the crushed marbles as subtrate but never buffered the water tongue.gif

now after the death of the calvus i knew that u need some air flow in the tank, using a air stone ohmy.gifohmy.gif , but damn i don't have one... so i just the water outler from the canister is now on the top of the hood and it's dripping like a small water fall, which bringing some air bubbles into the water and also all the obstacles that used to be on the surface are gone.. and the frontosas seems settled now.... blush.gifblush.gif

thx for everything guys , i really appreciate all replies.

c ya

Aymenz,

It sounds like you are trying to save a little money by not putting an airstone in your tank. It'll only cost you a small amount in electricity over a year so I think it would be a good investment. One day your filter may breakdown and you'll come home and see your tank with a similar problem as this time.

the bubbles from an airstone do practically nothing in the way of increasing oxygen in the water, apart from slightly agitating the surface. Most oxygen is absorbed through the water surface so as long as the surface is moving enough you should have no problem with oxygen levels in the tank.

So you are better off getting a spaybar for filter outlet and have the water coming out parrelel to and just under the surface. HTH

By relying on your filter to do too many jobs you are asking for trouble. Certainly use it as the main way for oxygen to be absorbed into the water through surface agitation, but a backup plan is a must.

If you accidently fill the water too high after a water change, forget to turn the filter back on (after feeding or a water change), or if the filter simply breaksdown then you will be learning the lesson the hard way. tongue.gif

rodney rodney rodney smile.gif

didn't you read my reply to nelson tongue.gif

i told ya my car doesn't move, there's a problem with it....

plus i'm not gonna be tied on an air pump smile.gif

i already got one yesterday.. and the fish are doing fine...... smile.gif

but i learned from my mistake, if it was a mistake because i couldn't go anywhere to get an air pump....... smile.gif

anyway thx for the replies.....

c ya

hey rod....smile.gif

i got an air pump , after taking omar dad's car smile.gif

i couldn't get an air pump in the same day i was setting up the tank because abdulrahim was @ work, so as omar sad.gif

but now everything is allright

the fronties and the gombies are happy

btw do u have any calvus for sale..any size ???? smile.gif

thx anyway rod

c ya

amyenz

i read this post when it fist came up.i was so annoyed by your attitude and ignorance i immeadiately typed out a scathing reply.after reading my reply ,in my own self interest i did not send it.(this is a public forum)after 3 days my anger has reduced to contempt Rodney and other people offered you plausable reasons why your actions caused the death of these fish.while the lackof an air pump is secondary to the problem all you cryed about was a broken down car.changing from SA to TANGS obviously recquires more thought than you gave it.the question of leaning a lesson from this abuse was asked- have you?and you want more of these fish. i realise a good deal may have been offered to you and you didnt know how to handle it. most of your threads are about health problems and although this is a place to ask questions i suggest you do ten times more research and then be a little more humble and ask appropiate questions.i also suggest you start with tangs a bit tougher,and consider an upgrade of your equipment. I am saddened by the death of such beatifull fish from not understanding thier requirements !!!!

colfish

The only real way to get air into the water is by breaking the water surface by letting the water coming out of the filter to exit the outlet hose above the water level.

To me, air stones are just ornamental things, but they do create turbulance and move the surface water around, but do not break the water tension on the surface enough to really airate the tank.

You can always have a powerhead sitting in the corner facing up alittle to create a current coming out of the water, also aggetating the water surface.

You probably already know this.

Clean out the filter only with water from the tank. This keeps the bacteria in the filter media rather than washing all that hard work away with a hose.

When transfering fish, I try to replicate the water they were in previously. Sometimes I even test the persons water I bought them off. Some forum members here might know me.

My two (2) cents.

Steve

Archived