Pot Scrubbers as filter media?

stagfest

They will work in a canister, but I reckon they might not pack in as well as some of the more traditional media types, leaving lots of open gaps.

I have them in both of my sumps and they work very well in that application.

Baz, I looked at that link its a very interesting read. One thing that I did notice was that you had the scrubbers submersed in water, just in case you get a power outage so that the bacteria doesn't die...

I had the following impression, ( not scientific though, sooo feel free to flame away LOL.gif )... anyway, I thought that the bacteria in the media feeds of oxygen, which helps it grow and multiply, now say for example you had a canister filter, and a trickle filter ( media not submersed ), the power goes off...

I would think that the cannister bacteria would die alot quicker due to the fact that there is less oxygen in water, they would eat it up fairly quickly. The media in the trickle filter if it were keps moist, would last much longer, due to the fact that there is still oxygen it can feed on in the air... dntknw.gif or are there other variables to consider?

Exposed media wont stay moist for very long, and I think (I'm no scientist either LOL.gif ) this means the bacteria will die faster than bacteria which is submerged.

Perhaps one of the science types could clarify this for us please?

Archived