DIY Trickle Tilter (ie Mark Coleman's!)

stagfest

Hi all,

Well i'm going to be picking up a 3x2x2 tank on the weekend, I will be getting a weir put in with a 1inch bulkhead. After asking around for prices for mini reefs, absolutely rediculous prices on some of them, I found Mark's bucket filter!! thumbup.gifthumbup.gif . Genius if you ask me... thumbup.gif

Anyway, a few questions have bucgged me about this... confused.gif

1. What size pump is required for this? I know the limiting factor will be the bulkhead, but what is i get a pump thats too big, it will drain the water in the sump right? blush.gif Leading to prolly burning out the pump, sooo better to be short of pumping power than too much?

2. What is the flow rate of a 1inch bulkhead? And does the level of the water effect the flow rate in anyways?

3. If I were to install a durso standdpipe, http://www.dursostandpipes.com, will that also effect the flowrate?

sheesh that's alot of questions....Oh BTW I will be putting a colony of tropheus in here!!!! LOL.gif

-Cheers Merv-

ok, if that 1" bulkhead is 1" internal diameter, as in the hole is over 40mm & with fit a 25mm ID fitting, it'll flow upto about 3000lph if it's vertical (ie: the base is drilled) Ones on the side flow way less for some reason, I'll let a fluid dynamics expert explain it.

I have two pumps with 1" ID bulkheads & DIY trickles - one has a Resun King-3 2400LPH@0 head pump, the other has a 2800LPH@0 head cheapie from AOA. Both put about 1" of water over the standpipe when they reach equilibram - obviously there will be less water above a weir but the exact level I don't know.

If you go the spraybar route rather than the spinner route - make the holes about 10mm - although it seems like a lot, any smaller & they'll be clogged in 6 months & be a PITA.

Here's my page on my DIY design - same thing tackled a different way.

Hope this helps

Fanstastic ash!! clap.gif I think I have come across your website previously. The tank will be drilled from the bottom, and I will have a spinning bar.

The seedly trays are a great idea too, if only you could find a container that fits them exactly...hmmmmmm time to go looking through k-mart me thinks... LOL.gif

Oh i'm planning to do the same as you and use some quick release taps just in case i want to mess with a few thing...

I ended up going for the two boxes method & I drilled the base of the media box with an 18mm spade bit

One thing I found - use a straight barb fitting on the end of the bulkhead & use flexable hose for both the runs to & from the filter. The more gradual bends are better for flow than the irrigation 90deg ones I used.

KISS.

Your difficulty is you are trying to work out with the cart before the horse. What comes first, the required size plumbing hole or the pump? You have decided upon the hole size first, which is putting the cart in front.

The order of decision;

What volume tank?

What pump to turn this volume over 4-6 times per hour?

Purchase your pump.

Match your tanks plumbing size to the pumps.

In addition, if you want to take it a step further, get your tank drilled the next size up from your pumps inlet/outlet, fit it out with the bulkhead fittings to match this larger size, then plumb it down to equal the pumps inlet/outlet size. If you ever decide to put a bigger pump on it will be a simple matter to change the fittings in the bulkheads. It will mean very little extra work at this stage, a small amount of extra money for the larger plumbing fittings, but if you ever increase your pump size you will be very appreciative.

If your durso standpipe affects your flow rate to the extent you have potential overflow problems, you will also be cutting it too close even without the Durso. Match up your hole size as mentioned above, make sure your weir is big enough to cater for the extra size needed with a Durso (off center the hole in the weir), and you'll be okay.

Craig

Thanks for the advice craig, it all makes sense now! I'll be looking at pumps on the weekend, i'll prolly get an eheim or laguna, i'm still trying to justify the price of the eheim...is it worth that extra bit over the long run... dntknw.gif

I'll want to be pumping around about 2500lph so the eheim 1260 is perfect, i've got a price for $273, OUCH!! shock.gif

So with this flow rate I have in mind a 1inch bulkhead would be about right me thinks... thumb.gif

OBTW , has anyone else got eheim pumps...? Please help me justify purchasing one... LOL.gif

-Cheers Merv-

Thanks for the advice craig, it all makes sense now! I'll be looking at pumps on the weekend, i'll prolly get an eheim or laguna, i'm still trying to justify the price of the eheim...is it worth that extra bit over the long run... dntknw.gif

I'll want to be pumping around about 2500lph so the eheim 1260 is perfect, i've got a price for $273, OUCH!!  shock.gif

So with this flow rate I have in mind a 1inch bulkhead would be about right me thinks... thumb.gif

OBTW , has anyone else got eheim pumps...? Please help me justify purchasing one... LOL.gif

-Cheers Merv-

Ocean runners are also I understand pretty good, as good Eheim? Couldn't say. Eheim are very good, quiet, reliable, economical (to run), but you pay for their name. They don't have much head though. Your choice.

Make sure you drill the next size up, and plumb it down. At the least it won't hurt, at best, it will be very handy if you put on another pump with larger plumbing requirements.

Craig

I use a Sun Sun HQB3900 on my 4'x2'x2' tanks DIY trickle filter

It flows 3500lph with a head of 4.2m!! Works so well I had to put a ball valve on the outlet to adjust the flow back a little. Best thing is it only cost me about $45! thumbup.gif

I cant really compare with other similar rated pumps because I havent used any but it works fine for me, I've been using it for about 3 months now. I think normally these pumps retail for about $70 but you may be able to find them cheaper still.

Ok Ok, i've just placed an order with on eof our sponsors. I've ordered a Sicce extrema pump 2500lph and 3mtr head, that should do the trick for me. Its made in italy, ( they make awesome bikes and great cars thumbup.gif ) hopefully good pumps too... confused.gif

It only cost me $75, but as usual, i get myself a few more goodies to play with...I'll keep you guys posted on how the pump goes... dntknw.gif

I can't bloody wait now!!! going to pick the tank up on sunday morning, then hopefully taking it to get drilled...shouldn't belong till i get my tropheus!!! tongue.gif

The cost of the pump is the last thing I look at. Doesn’t matter how cheap the pump is, if it hasn't got a proven track record. Three months is nothing, wait for three years, then you’ve got a pump to recommend thumbup.gif .

I personally have never heard of a Sicce pump, but then I stick with three brands, Eheim, Oase, and Oceanrunner, so really only have ears for them woot.gif . Unless it has a name that I know well, and have heard good about for years, I'm not really interested, after all, if it breaks down, your whole tank is stopped, and that can = dead fish.

cryblow.gif

I should add too, if this pump has a three meter head, what height are you pumping it to? What flow rate will your pump do at that height? Is it going to turn your tank over 4-6 times per hour?

Craig

I use a Sun Sun HQB3900 on my 4'x2'x2' tanks DIY trickle filter

It flows 3500lph with a head of 4.2m!! Works so well I had to put a ball valve on the outlet to adjust the flow back a little. Best thing is it only cost me about $45!  thumbup.gif

I cant really compare with other similar rated pumps because I havent used any but it works fine for me, I've been using it for about 3 months now. I think normally these pumps retail for about $70 but you may be able to find them cheaper still.

Putting a ball valve (a tap) will put back pressure on your pump. This will make your pump work harder, causing a greater likely hood of it breaking down, in addition, it may be consuming more electricity ($) by working harder (with no benefit to you).

You would be better off putting in a T junction (bypassing some water back somewhere else), and putting a tap on that and control your water flow that way as it won't cause you the same back pressure on you pump.

The cost of the pump is the last thing I look at.  Doesn’t matter how cheap the pump is, if it hasn't got a proven track record.  Three months is nothing, wait for three years, then you’ve got a pump to recommend thumbup.gif .

I personally have never heard of a Sicce pump, but then I stick with three brands, Eheim, Oase, and Oceanrunner, so really only have ears for them woot.gif .  Unless it has a name that I know well, and have heard good about for years, I'm not really interested, after all, if it breaks down, your whole tank is stopped, and that can = dead fish.

cryblow.gif

I should add too, if this pump has a three meter  head, what height are you pumping it to?  What flow rate will your pump do at that height?  Is it going to turn your tank over 4-6 times per hour?

Craig

It will be pumping at a head height of less than 1 metre, and at that height it will be pumping at about 2000lph, so it should turn over my 3x2x2 about 5 times ph.

I just picked the tank up yesterday... thumbup.gif It is my first one that's made of 10mm glass, boy I was not expecting it to be that heavy... LOL.gif Now to find some time to decorate and set it up... bigsmile.gif

any progress?  I'd like to see how it works out for you

hahahha nah sorry no progress yet! dntknw.gif i dumped all the stuff at my parents house, in my sisters garage/granny flat, she's not too happy!! ( i have 2 more empty tanks, a darkroom which is suppose to be her shower/bathroom, and cupboards full of photographic equipment that I prolly should sell woot.gifLOL.gif . I prolly won't touch this tank for a while yet, got soooo much to do before christmas...but I will keep you all posted when the project starts...

You would be better off putting in a T junction (bypassing some water back somewhere else), and putting a tap on that and control your water flow that way as it won't cause you the same back pressure on you pump.

Thanks for the tip, I realise that its not great for the pump outlet to be restricted but its only very slightly, and seeing that the pump is rated at 4m head and I'm only using about 1m of head, I figure there is still room for the pump to handle a little more back pressure.

But I think I will set-up the return system like you suggested when I get time, makes a bit more sense.

If the tank was left unattended more often I would consider buying a more expensive(read: reliable) pump. I did do some research before buying this pump and it has a reasonably good reputation for the price and it was recommended to me by a couple of different places - some shops even compare them to Eheim pumps:

http://aquariumproducts.com.au/prod423.htm

Archived