Guppies

Teamsherman

G'day, i have recently realised that breeding guppies for feeders is cheaper than buying them all the time so i have started. But, the guppies dont seem to be breeding all that much, i had 2 babies a few weeks ago but i think the other guppies in the tank ate them. When the females look fatter than usual should i separate them from the rest of the tank in a breeding net and when she pops take her out and let the fry grow in there?

Any help will be great cause i really love spoiling my devils with live feeders.

The reason why you are not seeing many fry is because the adult guppies are eating the fry.

You can buy a guppy breeder fry saver that you can float in the tank. Everytime your females are plump, place her in the fry saver. The fry is able to drop under a mid section of the fry saver, protecting it from being eaten by the mother.

Think AOA is selling guppy hatcheries for $4 at the moment. You can also make your own if you are creative and resourceful.

Why do u breed guppies as feeders? They would have cost u heaps when u were buying them straight for feeders. Why dont u just breed gambusia? they produce at the same rate as guppies and dont cost anything so u can have more adults at once

u can also breed them outside in a tub

Thats what i do tongue.gif

lee huh.gif

For you Mr.Lee, excuse my ignorance but can you tell me what gambusia are? And i havent actually used guppies as feeders yet i am trying to breed them so i can use them, but its taking a while.

Cheers, Alan.

Hi Alan,

Just google for it and you're sure to find all the info on gambusia you could want.

Visit www.google.com and you're off. biggrin.gif

Cheers

Richard

It should also be pointed out that red devils do fine (in fact, very, very, very well) without ever having feeder fish.

Gambusia affinis is a pest originally imported to help control mosquitos. You can find it in most waterbodies around Sydney.

HTH -

Ushould be able to buy 'feeders'/gambusia/mosquito fish from your LFS. They usually have them in one of the tanks for like 10 for a $1. I would suggest buying them from your LFS rather than catching them yourself. As they might be carrying diseases and they are less likley to have diseases if bought from a shop. U could also catch them yourself and then treat them before u feed them.

Anyway, alot cheaper than guppies IMO

cheers

lee

Just take ya scoop net down to the local creek and net away i hav caught literally thousands for the turles and the silver perch out the back in the pond. I could never see any fish shops sellin them because they have been declared as a noxious species. They were introduced some years ago to control mosquito larvae but they figure they also like the tast of native fish eggs eg. cod callop silver perch rainbows gudgeon etc etc. Thats why you will never see them for sale in the shops. But yeah go to the creek take the kids and have fun they are so easy to catch you can also use shrimp nets with a peice of meet as well they will go for that. Benno

I feed my jaguars red empress fry as mine breed so much

Man, here I am busting my balls getting my Empress colony established, while Peter at Orange uses them as feeders! blink.gif

im not going to use the guppies for feeders now, i want to swap them for a breeding pair of anything that anyone wants to get rid of. I have 4 males, 11 females and 5 fry that are about 7mm long. I am just anxious to get a pair of egg laying breeders.

Archived