OH NO chlorine levels SKY HIGH!

Ant

There have been lots of fish losses south of Adelaide at the moment (luckily none of mine). At the moment i can't do a water change, anyone know of any heavy duty water agers that may do the job. I was thinking of storing water using a heavy duty product and airating for at least a week.

Anthony cool.gif

Sure its not chloramine? check with your water supply, i was told most of aust is on chloramine now.

Safe or Prime will be ok they remove chlorine,chloramine,ammonia just follow the recommended dose.

Hi Ant,

Maybe there is a higher than usual addition of alum to the water. The water authorities add it to disguise the taste, especially during summer when sources are low. Just check your water conditioner and see if it neutralises alum. You could test the water with a Cl- sera test kit to be sure if it's chlorine.

merjo

Thanks, This post also served as a warning. Daryl i'm not stupid mate, i know they are usually high but not high enough to kill fish when you use a double or even triple dose of ager. My question was is there a heavy duty ager, or is tri start as heavy duty as it gets?

Anthony cool.gif

Mianos, my local paper (Blacktown area) had an article last year about the change in Sydney from chlorine to chloramine ... we had quite a discussion on the old SCP board about the change and possible consequences ...

I am sure they are going to change to chloramine because of the somewhat scary issues of trihalomethanes as a result of the chlorine reactions, but from my reading of the water report PDF I posted it's not evident to me that it's in use yet.

I prepare my cycle by first filling an 80 litre tub from the tap. I then add conditioner at recommended dosage. I then put a 1700lph power head and a 300W heater into the tub and let it agitate the water for a few hours while it warms up. In my experience (YMMV) when I first put the water in I can smell the chlorine (Sydney Eastern suburbs) After an a few hours of agitation I can't smell a thing and the water is warm. I then put a tube on the pump and pump it into the trickle outlet. Nothing in the tank seems to notice, i.e. no fish get agitated or such.

These days with Adelaide Water if you dont use one that Neutralises Chlorine and Chloromon as well converts or removes Ammonia & heavy metals and slime coats your wasting your time with the ager here..

Even double doseing wont help at times, with the products that dont keep up with the changes in the water from the supply co.

Archived