Can someone identify this plant?

JayDee

Its called hycianth from memory in some parts of the world it is a terrible weed that blocks up rivers.

However it has nice blue/violet flowers after a while when it is established it will flower. I have some in my pond to block out the direct sunlight to stop the growth of algae.

I believe it is also illegal to sell, and most likely keep in NSW. It is however a great place for fish such as goldfish to spawn. It will not grow inside, and must be in full sun to maintain the flotation part of their structure in the shape it is currently in (rounded). In lesser light, the flotation part will become elongated. Indoors I expect it will break up.

Be responsible with this plant and don't keep it where it may get into the local fresh waterways. It IS a noxious weed, and as mentioned does indeed cause HUGE amounts of problems in other bodies of fresh water around the world. I do seem to recall reading an article about it causing problems in bays of Lake Malawi where it completely blocks access to boating.

In the Amazon where it comes from, it forms huge island like rafts, that break off and drift downstream. I guess because of the massive size of the Amazon it doesn’t cause the same problems it does elsewhere.

Craig

Hi

It is definitely water hyacinth and is definitely a noxious weed in NSW. It is described on one website as "the world's worst aquatic weed". I believe they have introduced a weevil as a biological control for it. You are being very responsible to keep it away from the waterways. Just a word of warning - Even after it looks dead, the spongy leaf tubers can keep it alive after drying out, so you need to dispose of it in a way that it can't wash into waterways. Eg burn it!

That having been said, before I knew what it was I kept it in my koi pond. Another from of biological control - koi eat it!! But while they were spawning, there was nothing like it for the eggs to adhere to, and when you removed the plants after spawning the roots came complete with infusoria for the fry.

one final point - last time I checked there was a hefty fine for having it on your premises.

Cheers

Lisa

Archived