Tank mate for Bettas

JayDee

I wouldnt suggest That you do that all the time, you shuld only have most bettas intogether when they are breeding. there are certain types of betta that dont fight with the females but most do, I have amle and female in a 120L community tank and the male still give the female a little bit of a hard time, but because it is planted she can get away from him fairly easy!

Fell free to correct me if i am wrong! smile.gif

hey buddy

Its not a good idea just to keep a male and female Betta together.Best keep 1 male and say 3 females so the male will spread out his aggression on all of the females and obviously not continually pick on 1 female. As D.apps has done though make sure if you choose to have only 1 female betta in your tank that there are many plants where she can hide.There are often exceptions with bettas and having 1 male and 1 female and some like each others company but overall its best to have 2-3 females with a male.

have a good 1

cheers biggrin.gif

Thanks for your opinions guys, I think i may do a little more research before adding some females to the tank. I just thought It would be a little lonely for the betta to keep him alone all his life.

I have just added a floating plant to the tank so that should keep him amused for a little while.

you could add a female in another tank *next to* the male if you wanted.

Shrimp can often go well with male bettas, but it will depend on their individual personalities.

If you really think he's lonely how about adding some other commnity fish, i've kept gourami's with bettas, sparkling, pearl and indian, all without incident, avoid any fish thats got long flowing tails as it tends to be targeted. But i've found even with two or three females the females will sometimes fight as well. But i keep most of my bettas in small tanks next to another small tank with a female in it, then you know immediately when they are ready to breed as the female appears to try and swim through the glasss into the males tank. Other wise she generally runs away from him even through the glass.

Hi Guys,

My 2 cents on the matter. From experience, i wouldnt recommend putting another fish in with a male betta in such a small space. A 5 ltr tank is tiny, and male betta's dont usually tolerate other fish in small spaces. I tried all sorts of combo's with mine in my 17 ltr tank, tetras, cories and other small fish with no long fins, and mine just chased them constantly till they stressed so much and died.

Personally i would leave him on his own unless ya get a bigger tank, unless its a major sook fish, then maybe, just maybe u could add 1, but still i wouldnt recommend it.

Grungie

Tetras are good. But no barbs! they will nip the Betta and most likely kill it. You could just consult your LFS and they will help you with what they have becuase i dont know what they stock.

wazza

Should Bettas have a heated tank? How do you heat a 5 litre tank? I read somewhere that if they are kept in cold water they are more incline to get severe ick or whitespot? If I'm wrong great cause I have a 20ltre tank sitting around I could use.

Adam

The temperature is a concern, but it depends on what your room temperature is like.

My house is air conditioned at a constant 22*C. That seems to keep the bettas quite comfortable.

I have a friend in the US that has his betta (Vishnu) in a 3L planted tank and is running a 25W heater along the back of it. It can be done, you just have to keep a very close eye on things to make sure you arent boiling your fishy!

My LFS uses underwater fairy lights to heat their bowls in winter. One light per bowl keeps the temp at about 28*C (30+ with a lid on!)

heating your 20L will allow a larger margin for error, so perhaps if you are going to heat, that might be a better bet.

ALSO, i have only ever heard horror stories about gouramis and bettas, so if you do choose them as a tankmate, please be careful and watch closely.

Archived