Lighting

Ute God

Would having my light on till late at night effect my fish? Do i need to have set times that the light comes on and goes off? Sometimes my light doesnt turn of till about 12.30 so i just want to know if this is going to effect my fish? blink.gif

From what I have been told Yes you should try to turn your lights at around the same time other wise your fish become stressed and then well hey stress leads to illness and illnes can lead to death!

I do hope you are talking about the light on your tank and if not and your talking about the room light well I have wondered how much affect that would have as well!

yeap the tank light. The light in my room goes off earlier but on occasions at the same time.

Also should i put one of those timers on the power point. The one where you can set the times for the power to come on and go off?

Yeah I try to turn my lights off between 6-30 and 8-30 at the moment cause it is not dark till late, but if you want truly precise timing go to your local hardware store and you can buy a timer that turns them off at the same time everyday and then turns them back on at the same time every morning, Thats what i do with mine when i go away and there is no-one home!

I use timers for all my tanks.

The tank in the house comes on at around 11am and goes off at around 11pm.

The tanks out the back here are normally only seen by me, and I spend most of my time out here at night, so they turn on at 3pm and turn off at midnight.

The timers work well, and I never have to worry about leaving the lights on all night.

I've seen a breeder have 2 sets of lights.

The first set runs during most of the day, then in the evening the second set which is dimmer comes on before the first set is turned off. It was explained that this causes less stress and is an attempt to imitate lighting conditions in the wild.

Good Idea I think

I use those timers as well. They're a great invention.

As I have planted tanks, I just have the times on for 12 hours; doesn't seem to cause any fish any stress this way.

Go with the timers...

I have two lamps per tank. #1 starts at 12:00 and #2 at 13:00. with #2 stopping at 23:00 and #1 stopping at 0:00. My apartment is quite dark during the day (I leave the blinds closed to keep the heat out) so the fish have acclimatised to a slightly unusual day period. Fish and plants seem to be quite happy and doing well.

Bunnings has twin packs of mechanical timers for about $12 or so at the moment. They work nicely - set and forget.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived