Meth blue

Ducksta

Hey guys (girls too I suppose)

I have been leak testing a tank and it seems to be fine, but I have lost water slowly.

Since I leak test outside I figured it could be evaporation.

Anyway, I figured I had a solution - I dumped a considerable amount of meth blue into the water. Naturally, if I found blue on the foam or the surrounding area I'd have to reseal the bugger.

Anyway, went out this morning - the water is crystal/sparkling clear. No blue!!! dntknw.gif

Was it the sun? Or some strange creature came and filtered the blue out of my water.

Hi Duck -

From the few MSDS's on the subject I have access to at home I think it is light sensitive. It's also not a nice chemical to get a chronic exposure too, though admittedly we are using relatively low doses of it.

Ducksta,

What I normally do to water test tanks is (after making sure they are bone dry on the outside) put them on newspaper, then fill them up. Any water leaking onto the newspaper should make an easy to see dark mark. If it is leaking but not enough to leave any form of mark (obviously don't leave it in direct sunlight) then I doubt the leak is anything to be concerned about.

Cheers

Pacco

Archived