Murray Cod

Ant

Does anyone know of breeding methods for Murray Cod? Have got some contact details for organisations but just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of how it is or can be done?

Anthony

Here is some information that I have gleamed from the Primary Industries and Resources South Australia.

Cod usually breed during spring floods from September to December. They normally select a hollow log on the flooded riverbank. The large eggs are guarded by the male before hatching into 8 - 9 mm fry. These large young cod, which reside in dense bank-side structures, prey on food washing off the productive flood plain. Large numbers of fry are only produced in flood years. In the South Australian section of the Murray, female cod do not necessarily spawn each year. They re-absorb their eggs during non-flood years to give their off-spring the best chance of survival during the best feeding conditions.

Young cod grow rapidly, reaching reproductive size (55cm) in about four years at 3 - 4 kg.

Murray cod consume a wide variety of prey. They ingest virtually anything that takes their fancy, including waterfowl, rats and carp. Beer cans, bottle tops and other shiny debris have also been reported from the stomach of Murray cod.

Also have a look at the NFA website as it includes a section on Murray Cod and aquariums.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/cod.html

Ged

Thanks Ged, very usefull website.

Also I was just wondering if you could PM me what school you teach Aquaculture at if that is ok with you.

Anthony

There is also a magazine produced down in SA called Southern Fisheries. The Winter 2005 Edition did an article titled Answering an Ancient Calling Upstream – it looked at the environmental triggers that influence our native fish stocks in the River Murray. What are the cues that make callop or Murray cod spawn? The new edition is out this month so you may not be able to locate a copy of the Winter Edition but if you call (08) 8347 6100 they may be able to send you one.

Archived