Where can i catch some shrimp?

[RK]

Anyone know of any good clean creeks where i can catch a few shrimp for my community tank? I heard the glass/ghost shrimp are very common around creeks/rivers/lakes in NSW. But i've never gone and have no idea which place would be good. Any ideas?

Anyone know of any good clean creeks where i can catch a few shrimp for my community tank? I heard the glass/ghost shrimp are very common around creeks/rivers/lakes in NSW. But i've never gone and have no idea which place would be good. Any ideas?

im not sure where to catch them but every now and then auburn get freshwater prawns which are quite colourful and do very well in community tanks

Careful what species of freshwater prawn you end up with - some of the larger clawed ones can be quite adept at catching and eating community fish.

I caught some shrimp while I was catching gambusia as feeders in the waterfall pond at Nurrangingy Reserve in Doonside way back when.

I also netted a 50cm eel in there, and teased my (now ex) girlfriend with it before returning it to the pond rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys, virtually every freshwater creek, pond, lake that have plant growth will carry glass shrimp. Just get your large net in amongst the lily's or other plant growth and have a few scoops. Trust me, you will find glass shrimp if you scoop the rights spots, and usually lots of them. Just make sure there is plant growth. I get them from many sources in Sydney, they like being in amongst the plant growth and even on the muddy bottom near plant growth. They are fantastic live food, and often do well in plant tanks, although not always. I find it depends on who they have as tank mates. They will easily multiply if you keep them in a 70+ litre bucket with some elodea or other plant and a little sunshine for the plants, no fi;ter needed.

cheers, Daniel

me and a couple of mates visit the creek often looking for glass shrimp and those creek fish we always catch the glass shrimp just look for very slow flowing water or still water. they tend to cling to the mossy rocks, hang around the left litter around the bottom of the creek you will always catch them they are every where. in 1 hour we could each fill a large fish bag easily

mark

Mickgiibo,

I concur with Mark 1's comments. Look for the still water, also look for leaf litter, plant growth, near the edges of the water. You won't actually be able to see them, but just do some scoops with a large net. When you scoop, don't just scoop mid water, but drag the net along the bottom, or around the edges of rocks & shoreline or through the plants. Try a few different spots. Unfortunately, I have not done any collecting in the sutherland area.

• 8 months later...

if ur after thesze shrimp and are in the area, take a trip to Manly Dam.

u gotta wait for the water to be down as at the moment the level is too high and it is harder to catch these lil guys.

just scoop anywhere underneath rocks or in the plants in the water and i am sure, like i have experienced personally u will catch them in the thousands. lol

only prob is take an air pump cause trust me, after 3 hours of catching these guys (collectin enough of these guys to feed to my oscars and cichlids,) u dont want to be like me and get home to have a bucket full of dead shrimp.

lol

hope this helps

-Baz

P.s. dunno how legal this is too as it is in a Nat. Park, but u often see ppl fishing n stuff there.

Careful what species of freshwater prawn you end up with - some of the larger clawed ones can be quite adept at catching and eating community fish.

I caught some shrimp while I was catching gambusia as feeders in the waterfall pond at Nurrangingy Reserve in Doonside way back when.

I also netted a 50cm eel in there, and teased my (now ex) girlfriend with it before returning it to the pond :roll

' date='Sep 7th 2005 @ 11:49 ' post='117877']

Oh cool. I love 5mins from that place. Might go check it out one day!

The waterfall pond is dried up pretty much now ... probably fuller then normal as it has just rained but the waterfall hasn't been turned on for months ... :cryblow:

You could try some of the smaller ponds and creeks around Nurrangingy though ... ;)

Edited by mcloughlin2

I also netted a 50cm eel in there, and teased my (now ex) girlfriend with it before returning it to the pond :roll

' date='Sep 7th 2005 @ 11:49 ' post='117877']

Oh cool. I love 5mins from that place. Might go check it out one day!

The waterfall pond is dried up pretty much now ... probably fuller then normal as it has just rained but the waterfall hasn't been turned on for months ... :cryblow:

You could try some of the smaller ponds and creeks around Nurrangingy though ... ;)

That could be because the question (and responses) are only a week away from their first birthday. Things sure have changed :B

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:lol3: Didn't even look at the year ... :B:lol3:

:lol3: dont worry, many people wear glasses or are abit dumb dumb at times!haha

i remember catching some of the small little 2cm ones from hawkesbury river, but i know farming upstream have killed off alot of the natural ecosystem :angry:

• 13 years later...