New Tank Syndrome

fishly

Hi all,

I have cycle my tank for 1 month already. The amonia reading is 0, nitrite about 1.0 ppm, and nitrate 30ppm. I thought the nitrate level is too high already, so I did water changes to reduce the nitrate level (as a result the nitrite level also reduced).

The problem is that after few days, the nitrite and nitrate level went up again. I just couldn't figure out why the nitrite level that I have never 0??? Could it be because the nitrobacter colony has not built up properly due to the water changes that I made?

Should I not do water changes until the nitrite level is approaching 0? The one worry me is that the nitrate level can go up to very high level if I don't do water changes.

Your great advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Fishly

Hi Brett,

I only have 10 small BN (4cm), and a pair of P. Salousi in the tank. I am using a canister filter with flow rate of 1500lt/hr and a wet/dry trickle filter.

Do you think that I should leave the water until the nitrite is zero then do partial water changes? or what should I do?

Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I would at least be doing partial water changes to keep the nitrites and nitrates from escalating. I'm surprised that the nitrates are that high given that it was a new setup and the small amount of fish you have. How much are you feeding them? What size is your tank?

merjo

Hi Tony,

It seems puzzling to me that you do have those readings for a tank that size (especially with all that filter power). Sure you don't have any dead fish tucked under rocks somewhere? Maybe try adding sera nitravec or cycle (or similar) to boost your bacter colony. Don't add any more fishies till the nitrite is zero.

merjo

I do get high nitrates at times in my goldfish tank, but that's because I've recently changed their tank, and the plants haven't fully grown yet (and I don't CO2 inject that tank either), with goldfish being particularly dirty fish. With such a large tank, you may need to cut down on feeding or as suggested look for dead fish (which is less likely in your case, as you can count them), as the filter may not be able to cope with it as yet. The filter rate doesn't change anything.

Your fish load is not minimal though for a new tank...

Thanks PHL. But what do you mean by

The filter rate doesn't change anything
?

And

?? Should I add more fishes into the tank? or reduce the number of fishes?

Regards,

Tony

I'd be getting the bacteria booster myself, better safe than sorry.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? I know it sounds silly, but you might be starting with a higher than normal level in your tap water. Its apparently very common with tank water (?)

Nitates arent TOO big of a deal (depending on the type of fish) but i would be doing smaller water changes once they get over 30ppm. By small, i mean about 10%... possibly every 2 days, but the fewer changes the better if you can get away with it.

Just checking, did you mention the SIZE of the tank or did i just skim right over it??

thanks callayata. The new tank is 5ft. I tested the tap water, the nitrite and nitrate level is zero.

Okay, seems that I have to follow your advice for the 10% water changes. Thank you all for your replies.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks PHL. But what do you mean by
The filter rate doesn't change anything
?

I mean that having a high flow will not increase or reduce the speed of cycling, or necessarily increase the efficiency of the bacteria converting ammonia -> nitirite -> nitrate.

And

?? Should I add more fishes into the tank? or reduce the number of fishes?

I think you shouldn't have loaded quite that heavily this early in the piece, especially if it's not heavily planted even though it's a large tank.

Sorry for not being clear...

Archived