Crazy crisis

patchy

I'm letting steam off angry.gif

My blue acaras laid eggs last week and now they have all hatched and the parents have dug a pit and are looking after them (this is in a 10gal tank, way too small i know it isnt permanent i wasnt expecting them to breed in here, i will be upgrading) anyway the internal filter was sucking them up.

THe same parents had laid eggs last month and removed the fry because they were eating them. ANy way the fry have grown to about 1-1.5 cm with some growing considerably faster. The filter in this was a nice sponge filter....

So i swapped the filters in both the tanks so now the new fry had a sponge filter and the old batch got the internal filter. As best as i tried (using pantyhose) the big fry still got sucked in, Blah! angry.gif

my problems only get worse from then. It seems my moving of the internal filter killed off the biologicalness and after a few hours i was reading ammonia of .5ppm (i had just given them a big feeding). About 5 fry had already died and the rest weren't looking too good. In emergency mode i fished them out and into 50/50 water from their tank and the new fry tank which included parents. I knew i risked the parents going psyco at the old fry but if i did nothing they'll all be dead i figured.

As i put the old fry into the parent tank i witnessed how aggressive my two blue acaras could get sad.gif .

After rolling my eyes and back into emegency mode i fished the two adults out and put them into the now uncycled tank with a 70% water change. Now the two parents are seperated from their new batch (bugger, i really wanted these guys to raise the fry by themselves) and the two batches of fry are together.

This morning i found most of the new batch dead but the old batch it still going strong...THis week wasnt a good one.... cryblow.gif

meh i guess things like this just happen. I think i'll buy a sponge filter for the fry tank now, anyone know any good DIY plans or some good ones to recomend?

i think i'll give the ice-cream filter a go. I've looked at it before but was abit iffy about it's effectivness. It just looks all too crude, but if it's effective then sure, why not?

Thanks for the replies

Archived