Tank Prices - 48x20x24 or 48x20x30

maw

i bought a tank some years ago with a ten year warranty and the bottom cracked after two years causing massive damage and loss of thousands of dollars of marine animals the suppliers not only refused to consider water damage but even refused to house some of the more expensive fish while the tank was repaired citing lack of tank space,so imo any warranty offered makes no difference to my purchase,i currently have a 4x2x2 made from chinese glass and i think the quality of the furniture or stand makes far more difference to the life of the tank than the geographical location of glass manufacture and i would guess that in sydney at least tanks made from imported glass would far outweigh those made from the locally sourced product due to strong market competition,as i said in a previous post a 4x2x2 will cost between $225 and $750 depending where yuo buy it and as for the adage "you get what you pay for" some of the tanks at the expensive end of the market were made from chinese glass ,i guess these retailers were just plain greedy

w0w ! $750 ....................................

If I sold a 4x2x2 for that much I would throw in a free cabinet, hood and spare tank in case the chinese glass in first one exploded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile.gif

OnlyMe.

the tank makers can argue that the crack could be due to your fault because of uneven stand or cabinet or too thin foam or they can come up with some sort of reason.

when i bought my tanks, the only reason i could think of the seller honouring their warranty is if there is a leak from the silicone area within 1 yr.besides that it will be pretty hard to prove it was their fault causing the glass to crack.

IMO chinese glass and any glass made in aust shouldnt be a worry if the thickness is right. the tank makers are the ones that join the glass together,if they dont join it together properly,thats the problem. that is what causes the tank to break when under improper pressure load. in fact any glass would break if the pressure on the tank is uneven or if given a knock.

Guys,

By PM I was under the impression that this debate would be dropped but since it has continued here goes.

Its obvious you cannot be convinced. I have allready agreed that workmanship and quality are paramount to a quality tank. If the quality of silicone matters then by the same reasoning sureley the quality of the glass is also important. No one will cover any consequencial losses under any warranty arrangement. However I challenge anyone to find another retailer that backs their tanks with a 10 year guarentee against leakage, breakage and faulty manufacture.

...................Removed....................................................

Auburn will stand by this warranty surely that is worth some piece of mind.

I have asked my tank builder to give me information on the tensile strength of glass , Pilkingtons vs Chinese to put this debate to rest once and for all.

At the end of the day make your own choices but as previously mentioned if you want quality, realiability, user freindly features and a guarentee to boot you know where to come. I know what I would prefer my tank made from. You may want to speak to Majestic Aquariums. He has also started using Pilkingtons glass on his larger tank jobs as he was getting too many "problems" with the imported stuff.

Regards

Anthony

well i have one of craigs tanks and not only does it not leak but its a quality hand made product and with the supplied furniture an attractive display tank,ive had no problems at all and when my fishroom is up and running i won't have any hesitation in buying more from him(at less than half the cost of retail outlets)

Oh deary deary, you need to be careful about giving people the benefit of the doubt. and it looks like I was the centre of this attack, shame. Yes I did build a tank as a sample for Auburn Aquarium which leaked like a seive and had i of charged for it I would have honored the warrenty. It was just one of those things and I now know why it happenned, so it wont happen again. When I first started making tanks I did make a few bad ones, anyone who had a gripe got their money back or another tank with which they were satisfied. You cant do more than that.

I look forward to any information regarding qualities of glass relevant to aquarium making to be made known. When diddly squat along these lines is ever presented I wonder if I will ever get an appology?

I am not going to go any further down this track at this point, but, please dont confuse this with can't go down this track any further.

Fortunately I am currently too busy to even consider suppling Auburn Aquarium, sorry Anthony.

smile.gif

Craig.

if you want a cheap and nasty tank for a garage or fish room go with the Chinese stuff.

Anthony - It might be implied in reading this comment from you that you consider all aquaria constructed from Chinese glass to be of poor quality. This is is a big call dntknw.gif. In my opinion not all tanks constructed from imported glass should be considered "nasty". There are plenty of good quality tanks around that would stand testiment to imported glass. yes.gif

Anyway - Poor Maw's post has been hijacked. If you guys want to debate the qualities of domestic and imported glass start another thread. Lets try and keep this one on topic.

Sorry Maw, but not being from Sydney I couldnt help you with a recommendation for where to find the right tank for you. All i know is that what ever you get it will probably be cheaper than if you buy it in Canberra laugh.gif

Yes, post hijacked!

48x20x24 ( or a 4x2x2) = $230 10mm glass

48x20x30 = $395 12mm glass

Tanks include foam and lids.

Either tank needs to be on appropriate furniture, if you wish to email me I happy to give you a price for a stand or cabinet to suit.

Craig Douglas.

I've got one of those cheap Chinese tanks and everything except the 5 basic planes are as wonky as.. well something wonky

I suspect you'll find that the only construction done in China was the assembly of the five basic panes. The bracing will have been left off so that the tanks could be nested to save shipping.

I imagine the lids didn't fit because a wonky Aussie put the bracing in the wrong place.

Cheers Mal - that makes a lot more sense Re: tanks being imported (ie. without bracing) I just couldn't imagine a container full of completed tanks piled up would be financially too beneficial. Although, with the bridge removed and the prospect of having tanks sit inside other tanks, it all makes more sense to me smile.gif

Duck, some tanks do come in complete.

Anthony, no damage to me and your appology is accepted.

I am very open and believe above all in the disclusure of accurate information.

All this started from me offering an opinion as to my preference for chinese glass based on opacy and the fact that it is a tiny bit harder than some Indian or Pilks glass. I didnt mean to imply any expertise here, just an opinion. I guess though the manufacture of 400 + tanks and an ever growing happy customer base does give me some insight into the whole thing. Tank making is a bit of an art, there is no school for learning to do so and little information freely available. I am committed to constant improvement and am continually achieving this aim.

hug.gif

Craig.

Archived