grow out tank

noyd

I'm planning to setup a 2' for growing fry.

I don't know how I should run this tank, any tips anyone?

How many fry can I put in this tank to grow for 3/4 months at a time?

Whats minimum filtration I should have?

Any tips will be helpful, cheers.

coulda just asked me mate hehe , just get a pump with an airstone and build an DIY ice cream gravel filter on the site , or just grab a corner filter from LFS, i think i didnt even cycle my tank when i set it up cos they r frys, i just transfer a filter sponge from one of my other tanks

If money isn't an issue that I'd say get an AC200/300. Fry will grow faster if the water is clean, else you can just do regular waterchages - like twice a week. I'd choose an DIY ice cream filter over any internal filters, they are much much cheaper and are equal in effectiveness IMO. As for the numbers of fry you can grow in 3-4months, depends on size, numbers, aggression.

I have divided my 2ft in half, so as i can put in a few generations of lombardoi and hongi fry whithout worry of bigger (older) fry becoming a pain. I am expecting to keep around 20 fry in each division (=40 fry....lol). I will eventually put them with the adults when they are about 4cm. I am going to keep the tank with no substrate and with a sponge filter (in each division). I am going to use a pump with a bit of guts (not sure how much) but with a sponge this wont be a hastle. And im gunna use 2x50w heaters. I actually do a 5% water change every 3 days and it seems to work, and fry grow well.

Anthony cool.gif

if you have really good filtration and do alot of water changes. Also just because the water looks crystal clear doesnt mean it is. (i learnt the hard way) so frequent water changes are absolutely vital for the fry.

wazza

how can I stop the fry from getting sucked into a AC300 filter?

this is my spare filter at the moment so I will most likely use this one, plus its already cycled.

I like your idea of dividing the 2' into two Ant, are those dividers easy to find?

cheers

Get some filter sponge (not wool) and cut it so that it fits over the intake and acts as a pre-filter.

Just remove this every few days and rinse it or it will block up and damage your ac motor.

hey, it cost me $15 to get it divided and sealed with a sheet of 6ml glass, if ya want flow through you may have to DIY, as alot of the dividers available arent very good.

Anthony cool.gif

i'd get a bigger tank for fry but im not allowed sad.gif. Just wait till im finnished uni and living away from home, then i can get what i want cool.gif.

how can I stop the fry from getting sucked into a AC300 filter?

this is my spare filter at the moment so I will most likely use this one, plus its already cycled.

I like your idea of dividing the 2' into two Ant, are those dividers easy to find?

cheers

I created a flyscreen stocking/tube that I sewed together.

I then sunk that into the gravel and the top was above waterline.

The inlet tube was then stuck inside the flyscreen stocking/tube.

Because the Flyscreen tube was about 1.5-2 inches diameter it did not affect the water flow into the pump inlet when leave and big poo got stuck to it.

I did not have to clean it often as most of the stuff did go throu the flyscreen and my fry did not get stuck up against it as the suction was mimial as they could not get close enough to the inlet.

It worked very well. Loose Food/Flake did sometimes get cough up on the screen but the Bristnoses quickly ate it... Better than ending up in the canister!

Archived