Any1 got Aquarium Pharmaceuticals KH&GH test?

carlos

Hi,

i recently bought their freshwater GH and KH test kit and having problems reading it. i'm not sure how yellow, and how green the tests have to be to get a accurate reading. especially the GH test, its suppose to go from orange to green, but in between you get alot of orangy-green. do i stop the test when the water is a orangey green, light green or dark green? is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

mine usually goes from yellow/orange to green within two drops. I have found it works better if you give it a good shake rather then just swirling it around.

HTH

Josh

OK I will clarify that

When the colour does change it's usually within two drops. My tank has a Kh of 19, So i have to add more then two drops

Thanks Colin

Josh

Hey Carlos

I have the same kit and the same problem. I find the KH very accurate, that is to say there is a definate colour change. The GH I find a little more challenging though - there is a lot of inbetween colour changing.

I think the KH is much more important though and am happy with a approxiamate or range with the GH. If your using Seachem buffers then the higher the KH the higher the PH goes. If you are keeping Tangs these two are very important IMO.

Grant

k thanks for you help guys, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one with the prob blush.gif

ya i'm keeping tangs, and no i'm not using seachem buffers, just use shell grit.

so KH is more important and i dont really have to worry about GH?

Hi All -

Without contradicting Grant (a very experienced keeper of tangs) I think it's worth adding the following qualifications:

I use only shell grit or limestone as a substrate. I use no buffers or salts (though I do add some plain NaCl when I remember (5g/L), which isnt that often.

For Lamprologines this is more than sufficent for breeding. MyJuli's, Chali's and other tangs breed quite happily under these conditions.

For some more boutique tangs it might be necessary.

Archived