Dimi's and predation

Ducksta

I ordered some "8-9cm" Dimi's and recieved them today.

At present they are in quarantine, but my longer term plan involved housing them with some 5-6cm fish.

Here is my dilemma, the fish are up to 14cm.

Just wondering how safe their potential tankmates will be dntknw.gif ???

I really don't want to lose anything, and I was hoping they would grow nicely together, but now I feel a bit iffy about (eventually) moving them out of quarantine and into the next tank up. The quarantine tank is not really suitable longer term either confused.gif

hi ducksta i have dimmis a bitt bigger than that and they go crazy if there is fish smaller than them, they are a pretty agressive predator, oh and buy the way you want to sell any i know yours are pretty awsome LOL.gif

Mate when I sort them out, you'll be the first to know what I will part with wink.gif

Yea I am not too keen on putting them in a tank with anything smaller than them. But if they had have been the 8cm I expected, throwing them in with 40 other 6cm Haps would have been a little easier woot.gif

I used to have 20cm dimis in with 7-8cm dimis and there was never a problem. It depends on the temperament of the dimis I guess. Could you divide the tank and leave a few of the 6cm fish in there and the dimis on the other? If the dimis try to attack them through the divider, I wouldn't house them in the same tank laugh.gif

The Dimi's range from 10-14cm, and from my experiments they aren't lacking the predatory instincts LOL.gif

I think I might reshuffle the other fish back into fry tanks in the next week so I can sort them out wink2.gif

i had my 10 breeding dimi colony 16 to 18cm colony with my frontosa juvinilies 7 to 9cm in a 6x2x2 and never had a problem thumbup.gif but my tank had all rock caves,so i guess they had somewhere to hide

Archived