Which silicon to use on tanks?

gqruff

Can anyone give me some information on which silicon is safe and strong enough to use inside fish tanks. I'm using it to re-silicon the corner edges of my tank.

Most of the silicon products i find at hardware stores states that it should not be used for permanently submersing in water.

Thanks

Hyung.

like desty said smile.gif

u can't use any type of silicone... as with the time it will open again.....

and make sure it's aquarium safe......

good luck.

c ya

Sam is right - the Selley's one works nicely.

However, leave the finished work outside for a few days to a week until it stops reeking of vinegar (acetic acid) for safety's sake.

Cheers - OziOscar.

As Jon said the Dow Corning product is very good. "Rhodorsil V2" is also widely used in the aquarium industry. The Selleys product is good for repairs but I would question its use for making a new tank.

Craig.

ive used Selleys window and glass silicone for most of my tanks.

i have never had a problem with it, and i also made new tanks from it.

ive also used Rhodorsil V2 aswell without problems.

i guess its up to your personal preference on which silicone to use.

HTH

There was a large debate over what silicone to use on another site. In the end one guy said he rang selleys to find out and they told him that they would not recommend any of there products to use on a aquarium. I though this sounded a bit sus since its written on one product so i sent selleys a e-mail to query it. this is the reply from selleys from 2 different e-mails

Hello, Yes it is 100% silicone.

Unfortunately we recommend that the Glass Silicone should only be used to make a small fishtank up to 50 litres.

Please contact me if you require further information on 1300 555 205 .

Hello Again,

No unfortunatly Selleys don't have a product for the larger tanks.

You may want to contact Dow Corning they do many specialty Silicons

When I first got interested in making tanks I rang Selleys and got much the same response. A techo at one of the other silicone suppliers told me the issue was shear strength and there was a difference between high performance glazing silicone and the stuff you buy in a hardware store. I believe there are only 3 manufacturers of silicone in the world, Dow Corning, Rhodia, and one other of which the name escapes me (I will stand corrected on that if someone knows better). Therefore, Selleys product is only packaged by Selleys rather than made by Selleys. I can resell V2 for $8.00 a 300 gram tube, why take the risk?

Craig.

Archived