What do you look for in a good fish ?

Bit Racer

Ever wondered what people look for when they inspect a bag of fry at the auctions ?

We all look at even straight barring (depending on fish), no physical deformities or permanent injuries, good colouring and whether the fish resembles those in the photos of books.

However, some people hold the fish bag up and look at the under belly of the fish, and I am still wondering why ? Surely it's not to vent sex (particularly if the bag full of small fry). Can you tell the quality of fry by looking at the under belly ?

Am I missing something here or am I in need of a pair of glasses... ? huh.gif

I look for the following when buying fish:

Good size (fast growing)

nice shape

sex ratio (if possible)

Good colour

Good markings (barring)

no deformaties (gill operculums, clubbed fins, twisted spine {lordosis, scoliosis})

and no signs of disease (shrunken belly/torn fins/fungus/white and black spots/lesions)

And if im being really serious then

blood line and

parent fish quality

Looking from the bottom, im not sure? Perhaps shrunken belly? Perhaps venting them?

I look for:

No Deformities

Straight or Good markings

Good Colour

Erect Fins or fins in good condition.

I wouldnt have a clue why people look underneath the fish.... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Maybe trying to vent? count?

or possibly checking if fish have reddenned anus? which is an indicator that they arent doing so well. (I have never inspected lots since I never have much intention of buying)

hi,

I once bought some Tropheus duboisi at auction and should have gone down and had a look at the underside of the fish. I might have noticed one of 'em was swimming upside down and about to die... something the auctioneers apparently didn't notice.

So maybe they're looking under the fish to check not to vent sex 'em but the ensure the vent really is there rather than on the top he he unsure.gif

Archived