Prime vs cycle, stress zyme

prince

Prince -

I don't think we can really comment on quality (as none of these products list 1. their active ingredients or 2. the quantities thereof).

We can certainly comment on popularity. I use prime currently- but I've also used a range of water agers. IMHO they all do more or less the same job smile.gif i.e: degrade (or bind) chlorine and chloramine rendering the compounds harmless to fish.

As to whether you need to use these products - well.... I've done water changes without them - and I've gotten away with it - I know of other people who've done this also. HOWEVER, you never know the concentration of chlorine or chloramine going into your water supply - sometimes it's low (no problems), sometimes its normal, sometimes it's very high (dead fish).

So its a serious risk to do a water change without water ager.

Cycle is, as ME indicates, not a water ager smile.gif and doesnt need to be used with each water change.

Hey there,

Ive just started using prime. I've been using 5ml to change the water in a 200L tank, stright from the tap. ie to dose all 200L of the tank. Is this enough? IF not, how many ml should i put in? I know they give you menasurements in capfuls on the bottle, but ive been told that their 'capful' measurement is incosistent and sometimes labelled incorrectly. I dont know if this is true or not... I ve had no issues using 5ml to completely dose a 200L tank so far.

Aqautan is another great product, but you need to use 50ml to cpmpletely dose a 200L tank. Ive used Aquatan for about 1yr with no 'issues'

Cheers,

Mike, I think when I was using PRIME, the dose was 1mL per 40 litres for chlorine, and 1mL per 20L if chloramine was in use.

Since with Sydney water I never knew what was in my water on any given day I always dosed at 1mL/20L but I am sure 1mL/40 would probably be sufficient.

i carry out my water changes with a 10l bucket in the first bucket i add 1ml prime and every bucket after that i add .5ml i am usually changing about 200l from the tank each water change

It takes forever. I just got some prime (thank god) because I have 14 tanks running and I was not using dechlorinator (Canberra apparently has no chloramine). Instead i was using a 20 l bucket and using a high pressure hose I was agaiting the water to remove the chlorine. It has worked for 2 and half years but the water changes were killing me. Noew I should be able to run water straight from the tap and just ad some prime and it will be all good.

I have used Stress zyme to set up all my tanks and filters and had no problems to date. IMHO I think it is a good product, but I think that the chlorine/chloraine (for you Sydney people) should be removed or treated first.

cheers

Rosco

IMO AquaStar is the best product on the market. (only new btw)

It is the new and improved version of Water Ager ACN, but even more concentrated, with a larger capacity to bind unwanted nasties in the tank.

5ml's treats 350L (1ml per 70L).

Prime has been proven to raise nitrate levels due to the sulphur that is in the product (you can smell it)

also, as an FYI, Sydney water are not only double or triple dosing the water with various agents, they are now also adding Copper to counter the effects of algae as we start to access water that has been stagnent for over 25yrs.

also, as an FYI, Sydney water are not only double or triple dosing the water with various agents, they are now also adding Copper to counter the effects of algae as we start to access water that has been stagnent for over 25yrs.

so do we need to do more than just age our water and add a dechlorinator like ACN or Prime??

thanks

matt

thanks for the replies all

do people use stress coat? im using that at the moment

when should you use product like cycle other than setting up a new tank?

is prime the most popular water ager that people use?

Archived