Aquarium safe concrete?

siklid

Hi guys,

I am just in the process of creating a styro background, I was wondering if I could find some concrete or something similar in form that I could add to the background that is aquarium-safe. Any ideas? blush.gif

Cheers, thumb.gif

Daniel

Concrete will keep the pH up because of the lime in the concrete, it could in a small tank make it too high. The reason I had success with Malawis before I knew anything about it is because my drinking water comes from a concrete tank, just normal concrete, high strength, more cement in the mix like a swimming pool. Make what you want and try it in your tank, if the pH is not too high them you will have no problems.

Craig.

Hello all, I was just reading another post where they use epoxy resin to cover the styro, might be worth considering, just paint it on etc. Anyway check it out I think it was this forum smile.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I will look up on that renderers mix. Just a few other questions, will i need to apply any type of waterproof coating (pond sealer)over the renderers mix? also, how would i be able to add some colour to the mix without it leaching into the water?

concrete in freshwater will initially push the ph up around 12.0(fatal to everything) i did some research for ponds and your up for a few 100% water changes scrubbing to concrete in between changes,then check the ph each time until it comes down to acceptable limits,ideal for africans but in a low ph set up youll be battling a high ph for several months,it works ok in ponds as goldfish and koi like a high ph

You can use admixes to normal cement to make waterproof cement Silsec is the one I have used . The cement and Silsec paint mixture is hard and good as a moulded surface.

I've found off white cement is easiest to tint with oxides it is just lighter to start with.

Neil thumb.gif

Archived