Sexing Electric Blues

lamu22

Hey,

These guys are very easy to sex when adults because only males are metallic blue and females are grey with a tinge of blue sheen. smile.gif

But as juvinilles its different, what i have observed is the following.

At around 6-7cm when males start to colour up a white blaze should take over the normal golden blaze on their dorsal fin. It starts at the bottom of the golden blaze then takes over it. Females keep their golden blaze.

Also another sign is that the males start to get a pattern on their tail fin which most males such as red empresses get.

Also most obvious is the coloring up of the male at that size.

If you cant wait that long i suggest you vent them. Im sure some forum members know a good site for venting cichlids.

hth

cheers

Richard

Hi Lamu,

Males are blue, females are grey/brown. Fry and juveniles are silver/grey and males will usually start to show colour from 5cm (sometimes smaller). Although sub-dominant males may not show any colour until they reach 10cm. An early indication of sex (but far from foolproof) is that the top of the dorsal fin on males often turns white before any other changes become visible.

Cheers,

cool thanks guys,

all of my Electric blues are about 6cm and all have a white line running along there dorsal fin, i know usally all males are agressive for mating porpuses, but other wise are they a peacful fish?

thanks

LAMU

1 more quesion. i have

3 X 1 female bristle nose- 1 male bristle nose and 1-? bristle nose

2 X female Forest Jewel Cichlids

3 X Rusty cichlids i think 1 male 2 females

3 X Electric Blues (all male at this stage i think)

3 X hongis 1 male and 2 females

there all pretty calm and peaceful fish, any other remcommendations (unaggresive Malawi nice lookin fish) or is my tank pretty much stocked at the moment its a Standard 4ft tank with alot of sand stone. the fish are sub-adult execpt the hongis with are adult and rustys witch are juvinille.

The jewels are riverine, they enjoy different conditions to the rift lake fish (less alkaline). You may like to take them out of this tank. Are you going to breed the fish you keep or is it just for display? This would influence the choice of fish.

Archived