Saratoga

E4G13M4N

I have seen lots of pics of Asian aro with "gill-curl"

No idea as to the cause, or any potential cures. There are alot of "old wives tale" type remedies - much like yellow ping pong balls and drop eye.

My point is it seems fairly common in other aro species, maybe its just one of those things? (Like Orcas fins in captivity??)

I have heard that gill curl is caused mainly by two things, poor water quality and if a tank is too small for a fish and restricts their movement.

When you bought the fish, what was the water quality like?

Was the tank used to hold the fish too small or restrictive?

I have heard that with good water management and an appropriate sized tank, it will get better.

However if the gill curl progresses to the hard part of the gill plate, many people use surgery to cut it off so it grows back but this is in extreme cases only.

regards

benny

Bennyboy is correct in saying that it is caused by poor water quality, this can also been seen in some catfish aswell as arowana, so either you have not been keeping up the water changes, or the previous owner diddn't.

Most of the time when Asian aro's get gill curl they are operated on.

By placing them in a mild anesthetic and cutting the gill back to the place it starts curling. I wouldn't try this without researching it first. The gill will take some time to grow back.

Thanks guys i also felt it had something to do with the water quality that it was kept in.. PH was very low in the esky it came in, but unfortunatly didnt pick up the defect straight away..

It has straightened a little but expect it to be more permanant..

Just for reference on this topic and the topic of drop eye in arrows, Dragon Fish Industries, a large arrowana breeding company in Singapore have a small ammount of info on their site regarding both these topics and a few others, not to mention some nice pics of arrows. The info can be found here.

Hope this helps. blink.gif

Glen.

Archived