Return pipe size

Brayden's dad

G'day all,

I have an Ocean Runner 3500 return pump. When I can afford my 6 x 2 x 2, the pump will be located in the sump underneath the tank.

The tank will have a weir set up with a single return line to the sump.

What size return line should I use? I was thinking 40mm internal.

Best regards,

Troy.

hi troy, on my 8x2x2 im running 6000lph pump in my sump hooked up to 20mm pressure pipe, for the return im using 50mm pipe this works fine with this much water pumping ,40mm should cope fine, hope this helps......leon

Hi there

In the rack I just setup I have 25mm inlets and 25mm expanded to 32mm outlets. I have 2 6x2x18's and 3 2x18x18's on the sump. But i also have inlet control values to control the flow into the tanks and these are unsightly but are in a fish room so I don;t as the wife cannot see them zipit.gif . I don't know how effective it will be because I am hoping to fire everything up today or tomorrow, but I received a lot of advice from the guru's on this forum. Also the 6x2x18's were previously drilled and setup this way by the previous owners.

cheers

Rosco

hi Troy

i run 4000lph pumps thru 32mm returms with no problems.

40mm would certainly handle any future pump requirements.

big bulkhead fittings are pricey, big pvc fittings are ugly, check out the options before commiting to 40mm or larger.

Thanks guys. All things considered, I think I'll go with the 40mm. That allows me room in case I decide to go bigger in the future. I'm pretty sure 32mm would be OK but once the hole is drilled - that's it.

I apprecite the plumbing asthetics of it, colfish, but it will be underneath the tank so out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks to you all again.

Best regards,

Troy.

The size of the piping has already been decided for you, and was decided by experts. Look at the size of the inlet/outlet size of the pump. Match your plumbing to this as this is what the people who designed and constructed your pump have decided is optimum.

However, it is also a good idea to have your tank drilled and bulk headed up with the next sized fitting up from what the pump designers have done, then plumb it down to meet the specifications of the pump. That way, if you should decide to put a pump on at a later date more powerful that your current pump, you will not have a bottle neck at the tank entry.

When ever you set up a tank/system, look at the total volume, and organise a pump that can turn it over 4-5 times per hour. Then before you have even bought the tank, or any plumbing, decide on the pump you are going to use. Match all the plumbing to this.

Craig

Archived