My Dilemma

I'm having some difficulty deciding which direction I should take next in my odessey for piscine bliss. After breeding mbuna and peacocks and apistos and most of the archocentrus complex and a brief hiatus, I'm now trying to re-establish my favourite hobby.

After badgering everyone I meet/talk to Glenn suggested I put it to the forum and benefit from the diverse fishkeepers out there.

Now I dont necessarily want to 'make' money out of fish-keeping, covering costs is a bonus, however I dont wish to be stuck with heaps of fry I cant move.

My dilemma is this, I have a 5ft rack (three rows of 5x18) but I can also access the summit shelving I used to use cheaply as well. I can also spend a little more and get a three by 6x18 rack with tanks and equipment also well priced. What do you folks think of my arguments below and please dont post 'buy what you like' coz I like em all LOL.gif

Geos:

Pros. always wanted/loved them, dont usually have massive spawns, peaceful, semi planted tank, can communify their tank (silver dollars etc)

Cons. Are expensive to setup for, tap water here is hard, require larger tanks that as a single parent have to 'book' friends to come and help move them if necessary. Can be inactive and shy.

Tang Dwarfs:

Pros. Are interesting and active, I have successfully kept/bred most before, can easily portage tanks by myself, easy to keep/maintain as tap water is hard and white sand is readily available, appear to hold value well. Can use similar shelving to what I had before, can get 18x14x14 tanks really cheap smile.gif Can convert to dwarf african riverine or sth american apisto setup.

Cons. Can be murderous, niche market not really established down here, expensive to obtain, shells can be hard to source, no real 'personality'

Apistos:

Pros. Very familiar with most species, small planted tanks, interesting little fish, affordable and a plethora of species now available, small spawns.

Cons. can be finicky, hard to move fry as specialty fish, will have to peat treat water, can be secretive.

Now smile.gif I also have a 3x2x2 which I thought may suit the geos, but can also access a large red devil male or a neat pair of green sevs. thumb.gif

HELP blink.gif

ps Did I mention my softspot for brichardis? rolleyes.gif

Its hard to say. Do you want to go back to the old fish, or start with something new?

I would have to say get the 6x18's and get Tropheus. I will say they are the most interesting fish I have ever kept and there will be plenty that agree.

I'm going through the same thing......

I keep Tangs but find the length of time it takes to grow fry out very frustrating.

I've decided to try and source some rare Earth Eaters and see how I go breeding them.

Although if I found a good quality pair of Red Terrors......... dry.gif .

Bretto.

P.S. I picked up a pair of Pelvicochromis subocellatus the other day. I'd forgotten how cool these little riverines could be wub.gif .

Its hard to say. Do you want to go back to the old fish, or start with something new?

I would have to say get the 6x18's and get Tropheus. I will say they are the most interesting fish I have ever kept and there will be plenty that agree.

i agree, they are beautiful fish... thumb.gif

HOWEVER, after watching my mate go through colony after colony of duboisi (he has successfully kept many other breeds) i would suggestion CAUTION... shock.gif

his colonies started at 30 fish.... cryblow.gif

Why don't you try some Cyprichromis / Paracyprichromis? Your five footers should hold a colony reasonably well. They are not too aggressive, suit your local water supply, they colour up well if you get the right localities. often active, don't need shells... need I go on?

The only problem is that they can be a little on the expensive side to buy which also may reduce the marketability of progeny later on. But on the bright side, if you get a great colony you can always advertise the fact! tongue.gif

If you don't like that idea, go the Lamprologus, they are always good value. thumb.gif

-worm-

If you want a challenge, there is also, the Xenotilapia spp, various featherfins, and gobies from Tanganyika. Not all of them will produce large numbers of fry, consequently they usually seem to sell. Even though the market is not as big either dntknw.gif . Certainly a bit more of a challenge, and different to observe. Bi-parental mouth brooding is pretty cool to watch. Tanganyika has enormous diversity really. Trofius is a good suggestion too. They always seem to sell. Do I sound biased yes.gif

Archived