Dooms day or not?

Teamsherman

Gday all,

A while ago i posted up a query about my red devil male and female. They have been living together in a 4 footer with a divider in the middle so they cant get to each other for about 3 months now. They seem to get on with their daily lives without any dramas, but i want to finally get rid of the divider. The thing is, i am very attached to the female and dont want her being killed by the larger male (female is about 9 inches with the male about 11-12 inches). Will he beat her up a bit to assert that he is the boss, or is he just going to outright kill her? If they cant pair up and be nice about it, im thinking of just selling the male and leaving the tank all to the female once again.

Any ideas guys???

Cheers, Alan.

Pull the divider for 15 minutes at a time while sitting in front of the tank and watch them. When you leave, put the divider back in. If you can leave them longer and longer each time, they should be right eventually.

Also consider cutting a hole in the divider that is big enough for her but not for him, so she can escape if need be and decide herself whether to join him.

Yeah, i might give that another go. Last time i did it, she was to stupid to find the gap to escape again. Anyway, i'll give that a go and see what happens.

And MAKE SURE you put it back in if you remove it to do maintenance.

RIP female trimac sad.gif

The hole for the female to go through is a good idea, but my female trimac liked to go in and have a go at the male and get smashed, so i'd keep an eye on them when you first do it.

I made about 5-6 holes in my divider, so she couldn't fail to find one if the male went into super attack mode. (often)

Andy

i dont think he'll outright kill her ,at the worst he'll bash her a bit ,after all shes a big fish,have they shown any signs of wanting to breed? (descended tubes) one things for sure they'll be a lot of displaying and lip wrestling, let us know how it went

The 2 fish have been mouth wrestling a bit. The bigger male figured out he is tough enough to move the divider, but the female on the other side is too stubborn to let him in so they just sit there at the gap where they can both fit through and have mexican stand-offs for a few minutes at a time, then go on with their daily digging, eating, reflection fighting..lol and then go back and gee each other up again. A few scratches have come about around both of their mouths but nothing serious at all so its all good so far. *fingers crossed emo here*

one other thing i neglected to tell you is that if one fish is serious about administering a savage beating itll have the other fish up in a top corner of the tank pretty quick, but it sounds like their getting on ok at the moment so good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I had my killer male in with a smaller female and with a nice sized ceramic log that only she could get into they were fine 90 % of the time but when he had a bad day at the office she would go to her room (log) for a while untill he worked out she is his woman not a feeder fish.

Cheer's.

Tim.

Archived