breeding red devils

Barra

hi guys, i have just gotten my first pair of breeding red devils. smile.gif YAY! they just bred for me and spawned on a flat rock. they were being agressive towards some silver perch mad.gif that i had in the tank so i moved the 2 RDs and the rock into a new tank.

ok heres the problem. the male RD started attacking the female to the point of killing her blink.gif , i moved her back into the other tank with the silver perch.... so... whats the problem? huh.gif why is the male so agro towards the female? and if she recovers then will i ever be able to put them back together in the same tank?

thanks for reading. and many thanks in advance

cool.gif

Hi Barra,

I reckon you would have been better off moving the perch and leaving the devils where they were - may not have suited you but I think the fish would have preferred it that way. Obviously they were happy to start breeding and I would say that the move made the girl change her mind and in typical red devil fashion, he got the sh*ts tongue.gif

Now you need to go through the process of her recovery - rock salt and Melafix would be my recommendation - and then reintroduce the male back into her tank - don't introduce her into his tank or she will likely get clobbered again.

Americans can live together quite happily for years and then, for what seems to us to be no apparent reason, the male will kill the female. It's almost like years of pent up aggression all released at once huh.gif

Good luck and I hope she makes it.

Make a divider out of egg crate light diffuser and reintroduce the female, if/when he goes her again divide the tank with one on each side (use some heavy rocks to hold up the divider as it will cop a caning) They may even breed through this, but you may wish to remove it when she is ready (full of roe, ovipositor down etc.)

Oh and make sure you do what Anita suggested wink.gif

thank you anita and dwd but the female looks a little beyond recovery at the moment, i think all i can do is hope for the best. but thank you so much for your promt replies.

i was so happy when i saw the red devils cleaning a rock surface, i knew something was going to happen and when they started to spawn i was so happy smile.gif , but then this happened, sad.gif how unfortunate. maybe i should just stick to my natives.

anyway, in the event that this female doesnt make it, is there any possiblity that this male can be paired off again with another female? and if so, how do i do it? whats the technique?

Keep hangin in there with her bara give her some tlc. I have rescued some of my SAs after the have been beaten quite badly and have got them to recover fully so hang in there mate she may just pull through. Benno

G'day, ive recently taken on the endeavour of trying to breed my female Red Devil that i have had for about 8 months. I have had a new male in the tank with her for about 3 weeks now. All they seem to do is chase each other around the tank. (well, he chases her actually) The female has had her ovipositor down for about a week and a half of this time but it is really small and i havee seen no evidence of eggs as yet. The both of them are digging frantically most of the time. Thats once i have put in the tank separator. but when they are not separated all she does is get chased and hide. Im not sure whats going on but any info would be good.... Thanks in advance.

thank you all for the replies and information, i have replied to the "for sale" in the cassifieds section thank you dwd. could i just ask you, what exactly is an egg creat divider? i suspect that its some kind of plastic perforated tank divideR? am i right? can you supply any pictures of this?

many thanks to all of you blink.gif

thank you discus dude and benno.

i think she was just a little beyond recovery. the injuried were just too bad sad.gif

i have replied to the FS post in the classifieds and im just waiting for pictures from the owner. its just such a shame that the female died. she had such nice colours and the male also has a really strong "red/orange" presence sad.gif they would have had some nice babies sad.gif

oh, dwd, i figured out what egg crate is now, ive kinda known it all along, i just didnt know it was called egg crate blink.gif

once again, thank you dwd and anita for the very helpful informations.

No worries Barra - sorry to hear she died sad.gif That's never good news.

With the divider, you don't have to use egg crate - Americans do quite well with those bread crates that bakeries use to deliver to sandwich shops etc . Don't you hate it when people just leave these crates dumped outside their shops?? It looks sooo messy I sometimes feel obligated to help clean up tongue.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Archived