Neo brichardi/pulcher complex

Skimming through a Bayfish stock list the other day I noticed a few interesting inclusions in the Neolamprologous section, namely an Albino pulcher and 'greenface' brichardi (Fulwe?) I know Kiku is around but what of olivaceous, gracilis, crassus and splendens? Which neos are on the import list? Could any breeders advise me of minimum tank sizes for pairs/colonies? (Yew has already told me but I forgot blush.gif ) Thanks....

I have a freind who has crassus, but he has never bred them. The others I know nothng about

Well i had mine breeding in a 2ft and they were fine.

They step breed... Don't know if that's what it is actually called, lol.. but that's what i call it...

Each generation of fry, helps the parents to look after the next lot... So you can keep various stages of fry living in with the parents...

So a 2ft will house a pair (Wouldn't put anyhting else in though, if you're planning on breeding) As they can become quite an angry little fish. tongue.gif

As for what types are here, I wouldn't really have a clue blush.gif

Hope this helps, Cameron.

I have a pair of Neolamprolugus Brichardi in a 4 footer, they breed like rabbits but get super aggressive when they do breed and try to take over the tank. I have now semi partitioned them off (theres a 20mm gap that all fish can still go through), to prevent them smashing other fish and to protect other fish smashing the fry.

Hey Dingo, I have seen the following varieties for sale in qld: crassus, daffodil, splendens, olivaceous, gracilis. I would think a 3x18x18 is a good minimum size for a pair of these. They can be hard on tankmates who cant defend themselves.

Which neos are on the import list

Do you mean which of the lamprogines or which of the brichardi complex are on the list?

Cheers,

Jason

I think the 30's are the go. When they get going they will fill the tank in no time, and small tank will have to be emptied too often. Also I was thinking if you gould go to a 36" maybe you could put a pair of julies in there, which would show off the parental behaviour better. Julies should do well so long as they have their own little rock pile. waddya reckon dntknw.gif

as for imports, brichardi is on the list.......so potentially any variety perhaps wink2.gif

Cheers,

Jason

The greenface Brichardi on AI's list are N. Brichardi *Ratunga Barundi*. I had and bred these fish about 18 months back. The other N.Brichardi that are generally available are: Aussie strain (princess), Kiku, Barundi, Ratunga Barundi, Bemba, kygoma?. I'm not sure about other forms of neos apart from the odd Pulcher but i'm not sure what location the fish we have here are.

Anthony

I've seen the albino version from Bay and they arent bad looking. They still have some of the blue in the fins but with normal albino colouring (or lack there of). In general though I'm not a fan of albinos.

Archived