Filter sponges

Brownfish

In a previous thread, Megalodon posted:

Last known Clark rubber only sells one type of foam for fish tanks. Its 5cm thick. everything else in the store is toxic to fish.

This is a great tip that could save lots of us plenty of bucks. I am intending to go into Clark Rubber tomorrow to search for this product but is there a specific name or catalog number for the non-toxic product? If not then can someone at least tell me what colour it is?

Cheers

Richard

I bought some stuff from them a few years ago, they called it "pond filter".

I'm not sure if that is the term they use across the board or if it was just what this particular sales guy called it.

From memory it came in a couple of different thicknesses and each type was sold by the square foot (30cmx30cm for the youngsters...)

It's been in my filter for more than 3 yrs now, does a wonderful job, and just needs to be squeezed/rinsed every now and then.

Last known Clark rubber only sells one type of foam for fish tanks. Its 5cm thick. everything else in the store is toxic to fish.

I seriously question this!!!!!! I would say that very little of it is toxic to fish. some of it is toxic to the bacteria that keeps our tanks healthy.

Craig.

The colour is just the normal colour of foam. Just ask them at the counter if they have any foam in stock for aquarium filters.

========================

Now reply for user :

Onlme

I seriously question this!!!!!! I would say that very little of it is toxic to fish. some of it is toxic to the bacteria that keeps our tanks healthy.

Its a free world you can question anything you wish. Most foams are treated with something so you can take your choice of antibac, antifungi or antifire. You can take your choice if its toxic to fish or the bacteria either way the fish die from toxins in the water. the end result is the same. Now most people that keep fish dont want the smallest part of any chemical in there water and go to some extremes to limit what goes in such as even aging water for a week before a water change. These people will research and ask a lot of questions before doing anything new so this info is for them to confirm or dispute. either way makes no difference they now know what can be in most foams. As for what they use thats up to them and you, I already know what i use. Id rather get 20 years out of a fish than 5 years or its not worth your time keeping them. If foam is just foam well to save money you can go to the dump and grab a old cushion off a sofa and cut it up. Little difference in my view. Save a little cleaning on your tank you can use a bit of chlorine in the water. It will help the algae too. For me ill stick to the little more time consuming methods.

Maybe you can use this discussion as a topic to do for a class project or even a class debate. laugh.gif

Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la lla aaa, la la la lar. (meant to be sung)

Speaking of things in the water, I wonder if thats what causing all the agro?

All my intention was is stop people trying to re-invent the wheel.

I am sorry I vexed you.

Craig.

maybe we can see if a sponge wholesaler will sell aquarium safe sponges to SCP forum members?

that would

1. remove the questioning of ANYchemicals that has been applied to the sponge

2. might even be cheaper than clark rubber?

Thanks for the responses. I went to Clark Rubber in Fyshwick (Canberra) and the shop assistant said, "Yep, we do only have one product that isn't treated with chemicals". She then led me to some material that looks like the dacron sheets that I buy from my LFS. About 5cm thick and white. It was labelled polyester and they were charging $15/m for it. However, she said that it would fall apart and only last a couple of weeks if I put it in my fishtank. mad.gif

Anyway, I went to the LFS and purchased the dacron sheet stuff to wrap around the down pipe in the weir. However, as Laurie pointed out to me on the phone, there's a good chance that this will block the pipes in short order. I noticed last week that one of the aquarium internet sites (can't remember which one) sells a 50cmx15cmx15cm foam block for $38. Seems ideal but pricey. It would be great for everyone to establish what is the best and cheapest sizable foam block out there. Anyway, good luck and thanks again. cool.gif

Cheers

Richard

I buy appropriate reticulated foam from the manufacturer in large sheets, 100mm thick. I have the capacity to cut to size and produce a stopped or though 1" hole in it. This stuff so long as the density suits you is the right stuff to use. This manufacture compounds their own raw materials (and some dont, I believe Dunlop does not) and I have had extensive communication with their head chemist and I have used this stuff successfully for 8 months now, it works well. Postage is viable as it weighs very little.

Before I offer it for general sale, I need to ask Yew if I can do so on his list. So when he comes back from holiday I will do so. I reckon even with mucking around cutting and posting (pardon the pun) I can offer this stuff cheaper than Clark.

I did considereable research with both my current supplier and a small independant compounder to try to develop a system to produce quality after market cheap filter elements. Unfortunately the reticulation process does lend its self to small scale manufacture. What I am using now after much work was the best I could come up with. A 12"x8"x4" block with a 2000lit/per hour power head makes a great, cheap filter.

Craig.

Geeeee, I've typed a lot about foam, I hope this is it!!

I have also bought the black stuff that Bigengum is talking about and it is great stuff. My problem with it is, there is for my use, too much space in it and I feel it is not as efficient as it could be for particulate filtration. What I use probably doesnt have enough space in it. THe down side to this is it has to be cleaned more regularly but for air driven filtration it is perfect. I can't find anything suitable in between. Between both of them however you really should be able to get what you are after.

Craig.

i have also got some black polyester foam looks identical to the Aquaclear foam but black instead of blue. Mine has not broken down as yet about 3 months and was told that his is the only filter foam that we sell and is used in pond filters etc it was $80 a square meter so i only got 15x50 cm cost $5 it is 5 cm thick and comes in 5mm, 20mm, 50mm, and 100mm, thicknesses.

ok all i have again checked my filter and the foam the balck stuff. after cleaning out my small corner filters that contains off cuts of this foam, i noticed the foam is breaking down. Especially in areas were there seems to be higher build ups of wastes.. the foam in the big filter was ok but in the area were it is in contact with the pump, and in the holes that the return pipe sits th efoam is definetly weaker. the bit near the pump can easily be pulled apert with fingers, the rest seems normal. so the foam has gone.

I could have edited my previous post but decided why bother it shows tha twe can not allways be 100% sure of what is happening, 3 weeks ago when i checked it all looked fine, until i had a real good inspection of everything...

Now need replacement foam 3 pieces 15cm x 15cm square and 5cm thick, any ideas?

Archived